Crazy fishing stories- had this happen today...

B

BornNRaised

Had a few lines out on the cantilever dock....went back out after an hour to check.

A grey crane had flew under dock, i startled him...he flew away.

Only yo get caught on one of my poles and drag it in.

Couldn't fly away....stuck in the middle of the river.

Tried to stop a few boats (my boat is at bay springs for the storm and i couldnt find a life jacket for kayak) they all saw me and kept going....

Then a guy catching bait across the river I asked if he could take a second to free the bird, he said ok and turned up rover and took off.

Talk about ticked off....bird was still trying to float when sun set. If he's still out there imma try in morning. I tried to drag bottom and get line for over an hour- no luck.

I hate it. Terrible bird luck :( I don't even care about the stupid pole

B

BornNRaised

Kayak was not on dock. Up on bank full of water. Cheap walmart brand sit in. To short for my big butt tbh.

It was getting dark and i didnt want to risk it without a life jacket.

Bird didn't make it, body was floating in same place it was struggling early this AM.

Bummed out for the bird. The current now took him under. Rip buddy

StriperrHunterr

That is some bad bird luck. Like the Canadian goose that got spooked by my dad's cast when I was a kid. Real windy day, bird lights off the ground and takes flight, wind grabs the shad rap and curves it into one of the wings of the bird. By the time we saw what was going on it was too late to even shorten the cast and make any difference. Not wanting to leave it with a hook in its wing he wrestles it to the ground and gets it out. That's the most upset I've ever seen a goose and they're ill-tempered when nothing is going on.

sbroadwell

Last year we had an osprey hit a lure down on the St. Johns. Actually was able to get it free pretty easily. Bird was sitting on the water, all tangled, and we just reeled him in, next to the boat. Put a big hat over him, while we got him untangled.
I was pretty sure he was gonna kill us, but he just sat there til we got him loose.

Anvil Head

While I feel real sorry for your bird and experience, I found the Big Blues have no sense of humor at all. Unhooked one from a limb-line down on Sinclair several years ago. Still have a deep scar in my left bicep. Pushed him out of the boat once I got the hook out, but he got back in and took a shot at me, squawking the whole time. Pushed him back out with the net and he finally settled on a log still being very vocal and giving the mean eye while I patched my arm and drifted out of reach. He was still fussing when I cranked the big motor.
In short - no good deed goes unpunished.