Lanier report

ProAngler

Strippers are pushing up on shallow on points near deep water already busting on top-water. Water temps were anywhere from 72-68. Which really blows my mind for the first half of September. Can anyone remember it being this cold? Caught fish as shallow as 5 feet of water.

StriperrHunterr

Awesome sauce. Heading out tonight and this was already my planned tactic.

No, I don't know of a time those temps were reported in mid-September.

Coenen

Sounds like the storm really acted to push surface temps down. That's at least a 5(nearly 10 in some places) degree drop from the temps I was seeing last Saturday.

It makes sense that the cool air with wind/rain/heavy wave action probably accelerated the turnover process as well. I'm guessing that it also helped to get a lot of dissolved oxygen into the surface layer, so the stripes are a little more willing to tolerate being up there. Already been seeing some big bait schools stacked in the creeks as well.

Almost time to get the boards and freelines out! :yeah:

Teh Wicked

Looking forward to freelines and planer boards with Minnows again

Coenen

Looking forward to freelines and planer boards with Minnows again
No guarantee that the minnow thing will happen again, but a man can dream. They're sooooo much easier to deal with than herring, and a lot cheaper to boot.

StriperrHunterr

I didn't much care for the minnow bite. Some of those things were tiny and got completely destroyed by the hook. Granted it is cool to go from striper to crappie and back with the same bait tank.

Coenen

I didn't much care for the minnow bite. Some of those things were tiny and got completely destroyed by the hook. Granted it is cool to go from striper to crappie and back with the same bait tank.
Little, tiny hooks for little, tiny baits. I got more, and better, hookups when I went down to the #6 Gama Octopus circles with the minnows. They didn't seem to harm the baits too much, unless you couldn't find 'mediums' and had to settle for actual crappie minnows. I was genuinely surprised with how resilient the minnows could be.

Also, the ability to throw a day or two's worth of bait in a bucket, and keep them alive and frisky with just a bit of aeration was a big plus.

StriperrHunterr

Little, tiny hooks for little, tiny baits. I got more, and better, hookups when I went down to the #6 Gama Octopus circles with the minnows. They didn't seem to harm the baits too much, unless you couldn't find 'mediums' and had to settle for actual crappie minnows. I was genuinely surprised with how resilient the minnows could be.

Also, the ability to throw a day or two's worth of bait in a bucket, and keep them alive and frisky with just a bit of aeration was a big plus.

That is true. Much easier to keep them alive.

Jcon87

Any tips on good places to start catching striper? I haven't been out in awhile. Going Saturday putting in at 6 mile. Still down lining the river channel and pulling lead core??

StriperrHunterr

Observed 75 degree water all around the south end including the first 3rd into the creeks last night. Literal acres of small threads on the surface and every now and again something would make them look like a rain curtain on the water, but couldn't buy a bite on any of the topwater offerings. Changed over to deep cranks on rocky points and finally put a 5 fish bag together as we ended the night, 2 of them coming on drop shot, the other 3 on the cranks. Nothing huge, but they were all eating very well and looked like they'd swallowed baseballs.

StriperrHunterr

Any tips on good places to start catching striper? I haven't been out in awhile. Going Saturday putting in at 6 mile. Still down lining the river channel and pulling lead core??

Downsize the bait if last night was any indication. Start out in the early morning with weighted freelines. I was marking fish starting at 15ft in the main channel last night. As the sun comes up toss a few downlines in the mix and your leadcore, if that's something you really want to do.

Teh Wicked

I never had any issues with the minnows even using the #1 octopus. Right through the nose hole and they would live nearly all day. The only thing I will miss about summer is my quiet oxygen tank setup in favor of the minnow bucket if the bite goes there again.