Life vest question

Heavy Chevy

I am in need of a new life vest and I am 6ft 309 lbs all of the vest i've found look like postage stamps and no way I could fish in them barley get them zipped.Does anyone have the name of a good place to look for one would like to have a manual or automatic inflatable one. Thanks
Heavy Chevy
ps been to bass pro ,cabelas

Bream Pole

I have this vest in a smaller size and it is perfect. One of the reviewers said he weighed 330 and the xxxl was a good fit. I found my 2xl to more than large enough. Good price and Amazon will let you send it back for free if sized wrong. Myself I don't care for inflatable pfd's Not sure I trust them to inflate and what if injured or defective etc.

https://www.amazon.com/Stearns-Comf...=af08t&refRID=ZM6WXW2DF2SK6SDBS7R2&th=1&psc=1

Last edited:

JohnK

I like the cabelas store brand, life time guaranty and they have some inflatables that will fit you.

BeerThirty

I like the cabelas store brand, life time guaranty and they have some inflatables that will fit you.

^^ What he said. I use the Cabelas brand mesh vest sized in XXXL. The mesh vest is very comfortable with great arm movement, don't even feel like I'm wearing it. And I'm 6'4" about 320.

I used to never wear a life jacket, but now that my kids go fishing with me I'm making a conscious effort to set a good example.

Rabun

If you get a Mustang auto , learn to swim , it could come in handy .

After you posted the issues you had with yours, it spooked me and I bought three new rearming kits for my two auto mustangs. Tested both pfd's...one by placing in water testing auto mode, the other just pulled the rip cord...they both worked. I rearmed both and tested one again to make sure I replaced properly, then rearmed that one. It cost me $60 to test/rearm but I feel confident they'll work now.

Did you ever hear back on why yours did not work? I thought I read that you sent it back for evaluation.

LTZ25

No Mustang never came thru with an explanation even though they
said they would , I got a free vest from TW and one from Mustang. As I told a friend on here I still wear one but I'm not gonna be surprised when it don't open . I figured odds in my favor now . I didn't want to sue them but they could have admitted the problem.
I do use other type vest when alone on boat .

Rabun

No Mustang never came thru with an explanation even though they
said they would , I got a free vest from TW and one from Mustang. As I told a friend on here I still wear one but I'm not gonna be surprised when it don't open . I figured odds in my favor now . I didn't want to sue them but they could have admitted the problem.
I do use other type vest when alone on boat .

That's disappointing. I hope neither of us need to find out if they work in a crisis situation!

Rabun

They make several models. The one I have has a pull cord that activates the co2 cartridge and an automatic feature. The primary way to inflate is always the pull cord...the auto feature is activated when a disk gets wet and deteriorates and then activates the co2 cartridge. There is some latency with the auto. It also has a straw that you can blow into to inflate or introduce additional air into the bladder.

LTZ25

Does the mustang have a manual inflate option?

Yes the model I was wearing had a manual pull and mustang asked me if I pulled it , I didn't pull the handle because I was going down deeper every second and all could think of was get to the surface . Now I would pull the cord if able to because ill never be surprised like that again . I never though about the pull cord until I got back to dock .