Quick laser bore sighting tips

beginnersluck

Any quick tips on sighting in with the chamber laser for my AR-15? I want to sight in both flip up sites and scope. I know it will get me on paper at at least 25 yards but I'm looking for suggestions for more yardage. Thanks in advance.

trial&error

None that I'm aware of. I tried to rotate it in the chamber looking for it to point slightly different through the barrel. In one gun it was low and right in another it was high and left. both guns were scoped and on target in before testing. test was 38 yds on a brick wall i removed and rotated the laser several times with nearly zero change. Both would have been on paper so it was close.

wareagle700

Take the upper apart, take the bolt out, and look down the bore. This is how I bore sight all my AR’s and bolt actions. I’m on paper at 100 yards with the first round 90% of the time.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
Take the upper apart, take the bolt out, and look down the bore. This is how I bore sight all my AR’s and bolt actions. I’m on paper at 100 yards with the first round 90% of the time.

Same here.:cool:

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly

And is that where you zero your ARs? I have not been shooting mine lately, but last time out I could not get my Vortex on paper........pretty sure it was user error though.facepalm:

TO the OP, my laser bore sight was hitting/reflecting the sides of my barrel and I had to reinsert it a few times until it was a clear dot on my wall...........I still need to take it to the range, but about the only thing I tried to do was vertically line up the barrel and my dot.
My hard sights(A2 and flip rear) are dead on the dot covering half about of it and my Vortex dot is above it 2-3"ish. But I am only at about 15 yards.
After trying to sight it in at the range(and giving up) I was going the wrong way so even at about 15 yards in my basement, it was off my a LONG way:D

wareagle700

bfriendly,

Some. I zero almost all my scoped centerfire rifles at 100 yards. From there I know where to hold or dial for longer shots. AR’s with red dots get zeroed at 50 yards, same with irons.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
bfriendly,

Some. I zero almost all my scoped centerfire rifles at 100 yards. From there I know where to hold or dial for longer shots. AR’s with red dots get zeroed at 50 yards, same with irons.

Perfect! Thanks! After much debate, it seemed to be the best choice for my app too. :cool:

jmoser

++++++++

Sold my laser long ago; if I cannot bore sight manually one shot at 25 yards or less is all I need to get on paper at 100.

I have seen folks waste boxes of ammo chasing the 'bore sighted' zero after using a laser [or 'professional' shop.]

Regardless of what you do try one shot at 25 yards on a large sheet of paper first. Might save you time, ammo, and grief more than you know.

killerv

Regardless of what you do try one shot at 25 yards on a large sheet of paper first. Might save you time, ammo, and grief more than you know.

Yes! 100 yard boresighters are really 25 yard boresighters in my experience. I personally use one of the magnetic leupold boresighters, love that thing.

I always shoot mine first at 25, then adjust to 1in low at 25, shoot again if you like but don't really need to. Then move target out to 100yard, shoot a 3 shot group, find the center and adjust my zero from there. Very rarely do I have to shoot more than 5,6 times to get sighted in when starting with that first 25 yard shot and that includes my group which really isn't necessary.

beginnersluck

Thanks guys. I normally boresight by looking though the barrel, but a buddy of mine had the laser sighter, so I thought I'd give it a try. I was mainly worried about it being pretty spot on or not...Hard to be off by much at 25 yards when looking through the bore.

jmoser

Interesting note - my Ruger #1 is famously not even close when visually bore sighted at a 200 yard reference point.

I think it is due to the fact that the scope base slots are milled into the rib which is attached to the bbl; suspect a slight misalignment of rib vs bore centerline.

But again 1 shot up close is a cure all for bore sighting error. These 45-70 rounds are over $1 ea so I like to minimize sighting in . . . not to mention the recoil !!!