I've never seen a hedge thicket do this ?

BowanaLee

For some reason this hedge thicket is loosing its leaves. I've never seen one do this ? I hunted another one about 5 miles away yesterday and its good and green. Well, not like summer but green. I have noticed a lot of trees dying and falling in both areas. Maybe white or green ash ? Both areas are wetlands. On my river spot I can see saw dust around the bottom so I think its some sort of beetle but I don't see the dust here. I had to move both my ladder stands because the big trees died. I'd estimate more than half the big trees like this are dead in both areas. Other types except the hedge don't seem to be effected ? Still fairly green on the creek bank tough ? Got any ideas ?

Attachments

• 001.jpg resized.jpg
    001.jpg resized.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 1,254
  • 003.jpg resized.jpg
    003.jpg resized.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 1,256
  • 005.jpg resized.jpg
    005.jpg resized.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 1,259
  • 009.jpg resized.jpg
    009.jpg resized.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 1,251
  • 010.jpg resized.jpg
    010.jpg resized.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 1,252

BowanaLee

Google is your friend. I found my answer for the big trees and my guess was right, ash. Not sure about the privet hedge though ?

https://www.gainvasives.org/eab/

Last edited:

Danny Leigh

GONetwork Member
Privet can be semi-deciduous with some plants loosing most or all of their leaves. No clue why some plants keep them and others loose them. The ones near the ridge line on Kennesaw Mountain tend to loose their leaves every winter while the ones in the bottoms usually stay green.

Unfortunately, you are probably correct in that the ash trees may be under attack from the emerald ash borer.

BowanaLee

Privet can be semi-deciduous with some plants loosing most or all of their leaves. No clue why some plants keep them and others loose them. The ones near the ridge line on Kennesaw Mountain tend to loose their leaves every winter while the ones in the bottoms usually stay green.

Unfortunately, you are probably correct in that the ash trees may be under attack from the emerald ash borer.

Thats wild. As much as I hunt privet hedge thickets in late season, this is the 1st time I've seen it. I know its an invasive species but I hope its not dying like the ash trees ?

Tadder

HAY, Lee noticed the same at one of my Best P Hedge spots. Between IRMA and now this our season just never came together. One of those yrs. Hope 2018 gets better.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Late warm weather keeping tender growth on it, then cold hitting it hard before it's hardened off. Seen it in several places this year. You don't have to worry about that crap dying. I've spent decades battling it.

BowanaLee

Is this the same place you keep finding dead deer? Could be Atlanta pollution.
Nah, I found them dead near creeks 6-7 miles apart. Both died early bow season when EHD deaths are most likely. Theres minnows in these creeks that haven't died so I doubt its the water.
I'd be dead if it were the air. No factories near by. Just subdivisions full of people. Besides, its all draining down stream to you. :eek:

kevincox

My privet was brown yesterday as well. In 20 years never seen it turn brown. Has defitely affected my late season buck movement this Jan. Only section that was green seemed to be in the thinned pines. Everything on creek was brown. Weird

bubbafowler

They had traps in the trees in meriwether county checking for beetles that were supposed to be killing ash trees

BowanaLee

Emerald ash borer (eab) is native to China, Japan, Korea, Mongolia, eastern Russia, and Taiwan.

In summary our feeding trials found that eab most often preferred ash foliage over the non-ash species we tested, however,
some feeding did occur on some non-ash species with measurable amounts occurring on fringetree, lilac, and privet.

I didn't see and EAB feeding in the privet canopy but they could be in the root system ? Its cold out there.
Ash trees and privet both like river and creek bottoms. They could easily move from tree to tree ? :huh: Check this link !

https://www.nrs.fs.fed.us/disturbance/invasive_species/eab/biology_ecology/host_range/

Last edited: