A game of inches

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
For me personally, I hunt for the experience of being out in the woods, away from daily life, and hoping to get that little bit of excitement that comes with having a chance of accomplishing what I am trying to hunt. That might be a mature buck, a doe, a turkey, a coyote or bobcat, etc. I don't hunt primarily for food but will not waste deer meat if I pull the trigger. I have killed many deer but only one doe. That being my first. I am averaging a deer kill about 1 every 4 years because I do try to harvest a buck that is just as big and preferably bigger than my last. For me, seeing and shooting does and young bucks does not give me the experience I'm seeking. I have mounted 2 deer over 125 and made several skull mounts. I appreciate how different and unique each one is. Mostly, I can look at each one of them and remember how excited I was when the memory was made. I can remember the time of day, the temperature, what was going on in the woods, who I might have been hunting with, what the animal did, etc. I can also tell you the exact date of most.

So for me, hunting a place where young ones are allowed to get some age to mature is important for what I'm trying to gain from the experience. The bucks I mount are not meant to show off or beat my chest and say I'm better than other hunters. There seems to be a broad stroke painted on "trophy hunters" that we are trying to show off how masculine we are by holding out for a big buck. I don't care if anyone sees my mounts but me. I just like to look at them and take a trip down memory lane of a great experience. To each their own.

Nothing wrong with that. Sounds like you're in it for the right reasons. You're not one of the type I consider in that light you refer to. They are out there, though, plenty of them. The only folks I have issues with are the ones who try to dictate how others hunt or consider that there is only one way.

Buckstop

Nothing wrong with a club requiring the bucks they harvest be mature or having a plan to try to harvest 3.5 year olds or older.

I think a minimum inch requirement is an honest attempt at that. But without some other allowance or determination like jawbone or weight it just misses a too many older bucks that are prime age wise. 125” is more than many GA bucks make in a lifetime.

mature buck

Deer hunting is much like life we live - different opinions about what is right. I prefer to shoot bucks by age - Everyone I hunt with after time agree and nothing wrong with trying to manage. My grandchildren taught me that aging deer is not that hard. We make mistakes but we all believe it is right thing to do for the deer and hunters.

Tombuster

I agree with this mindset

My club did this a few years ago. After 3-4 seasons we realized it wasn't practical. We do have 3000 acres but there just aren't that many bucks that will break 125" without feeding them high protein. Whether that be feed or food plots. And that gets mighty expensive. Now our rule is if you shoot it you mount it. I passed up a 115" deer that looked to be 3 1/2 years old this year. A week later another member killed it and is getting it mounted. No rules broke and no hard feelings. To a lot of folks a 115" buck is a trophy and I understand that

IMO this is the answer, if someone thinks it’s a trophy then take the buck and have it mounted. Not everyone has that unique ability to “measure” a trophy buck on the hoof at distance.

If one knows going into the hunt that it has to be mounted then it’s obviously a trophy to them when they send one down range. :banana:

Buckman18

Another thought: I would guess that the vast majority of bucks in my area will die from old age before they ever hit 125" of antler. This isn't Illinois or Kansas.

Very true. I just had a couple skull mounted. One aged 5.5 yr old and the other 6.5 yr old in my estimation. The 5.5 grossed 122, the 6.5 grossed 109. Both from Mcduffie County near Clark Hill WMA. Bucks from Saskatchewan that old would potentially be booners. On my club, the nutrition isn't what it is in some areas, both these bucks were full of pine cones in their stomach when I field dressed them.

To the OP, could very well be time to find new friends to hunt with. Pretty sure my club has a couple openings coming up, feel free to PM if you're interested in case I'm right.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:

Buckman18

One of the jaws

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 96

Buckman18

The other.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 95

Wanderlust

Very true. I just had a couple skull mounted. One aged 5.5 yr old and the other 6.5 yr old in my estimation. The 5.5 grossed 122, the 6.5 grossed 109. Both from Mcduffie County near Clark Hill WMA. Bucks from Saskatchewan that old would potentially be booners. On my club, the nutrition isn't what it is in some areas, both these bucks were full of pine cones in their stomach when I field dressed them.
Interesting, I have never heard of deer eating pine cones. I know the seeds are high in protein.

MYRX

I was in a trophy club with 130"min for a few years. The key word is "was". Most hunters can't tell a 110 from a 130. Every year deer I passed up were taken. (some I say less than 100")Yes we spent many $$$ on protein. Had great bucks on camera's. One was taken.

Hopefully my new club is better. The rules are min 8 points, mature buck with 16" spread.

BRADL

I can honestly say that i have started out shooting whatever made me happy and went to letting smaller bucks walk and taking some really nice bucks. To me at the end of the day you go to take what makes you happy or you want enjoy it.

I was in a trophy club with 130"min for a few years. The key word is "was". Most hunters can't tell a 110 from a 130. Every year deer I passed up were taken. (some I say less than 100")Yes we spent many $$$ on protein. Had great bucks on camera's. One was taken.

Hopefully my new club is better. The rules are min 8 points, mature buck with 16" spread.

You are better off in the new club, for sure. The fully mature buck in my avatar is about 140" and not 15" wide, however. Something about silly, arbitrary numbers rub me the wrong way...lol

Best of luck with your new club!

ProAngler

Have you ever tried to age and score a buck during the 5 seconds you have before he walks out of your life forever?.

I wan to be focusing on where my shot window is, not trying to count tines, or figuring out shoulder to hind quarter ration.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
Have you ever tried to age and score a buck during the 5 seconds you have before he walks out of your life forever?.

You will get more time if he is on a food plot with a bag of corn poured out.Just saying........:rofl: