Do countries follow religious manuscripts?

Artfuldodger

How close do most countries follow the teachings of their prospective religion's manuscripts such as the Holy Bible, Torah, Quran, and other sacred texts?

It appears to many that Muslim countries don't follow the teachings of the Quran/Koran. Does the United States appear to follow the teachings of the Holy Bible? Did ancient Rome or Greece follow the teachings of the Holy Bible after Christianity became the prevalent religion?

I'm interested in how closely countries and cultures actually follow the bibles/manuscripts of their cultures. Have some countries become closer to following these teachings and have some become farther from these teachings?

Christianity, Judaism, and Islam all have ties to the God of Abraham. All three started in the same region and yet are completely different of how they view Jesus Christ.

So in relation to what each country's main religious scriptures teach, who come the closest? Israel, Japan, India?
In relation to "works" such as equal rights, treatment of women, forgiving others, helping others, living in unity with other religions, conservation of the Earth, or whatever their scriptures teach?
Things such as diet requirements, clothing, jewelery, hair length, worshiping & worship services, humbleness, meekness, showing love, peace, sharing, etc.
What country holds the record for doing this in the history of modern man?

Last edited:

Artfuldodger

Somewhat related would be what religions and/or in the Christian umbrella/denominations, live by what most individuals see as presenting the best attributes of humanity?
Things such as showing love, helping his fellow man, forgiving others, turning the other cheek, rights of women & children, against slavery, workplace safety, environmental issues, peace, not taking other people's land, etc.

I'm reminded of the Amish, possibly sects such as Kung Fu, Native American religions & Hinduism.

Christianity is governed by grace. This very fact is based solely on the love from God. If we in fact as Christians followed this example we would definitely have the best attributes. But then again we are but meager Old Self men at the mercy or our flesh. Perhaps there is no nirvana on the Earth in this life.
Yet just as I'm doing, I'm trying to see whom is better at achieving it.
Lucky for Christians, as most believe, we have a Savior from this non-ability to achieve perfection.
But do we have a monopoly on this after world perfection concept?
Aren't we required to at least be as perfect as our New spiritual selves can persuade our Old selves to become?

Last edited:

Artfuldodger

Example:
Sharia (Islamic law) deals with many topics addressed by secular law, including crime, politics, and economics, as well as personal matters such as sexual intercourse, hygiene, diet, prayer, everyday etiquette and fasting. Adherence to Islamic law has served as one of the distinguishing characteristics of the Muslim faith historically, and through the centuries Muslims have devoted much scholarly time and effort on its elaboration.

Are Islamic/Muslim countries basing their country's laws on the Koran? If so why do they differ from Christianity and Judaism if all three have common roots?

Why do Islam and Judaism dwell on sexual intercourse, hygiene, diet, prayer, everyday etiquette and fasting?
Why has Christianity advanced past "works" and have moved away from these things towards following the teachings of Jesus pertaining mostly to love, helping others, and forgiveness?
Not all Christians but I see it as being more spiritual in actions than physical in works and actions of diet & worship.
How we as Christians or any religion for that matter show more attributes of a spirit instead of a fleshy human, especially pertaining to humanity, we become more what we are suppose to become.
Helping a fellow person in need of help such as feeding or clothing is way more about Christianity than diet, worship procedures, sexual intercourse rules, etc.
I would hope as Christians we have learned what Jesus was teaching. We need to develop spiritually and forget the legalism some of the other religions have.
I believe we as a nation are making strides in this direction. I doubt very seriously that we are even close to being the best.
I doubt there is a better teacher than Jesus.
I'm not that acquainted with the Koran but I'm sure Muslim countries could use improvements on it's teachings too.
Yet it is a religion based on works instead of grace.

gordon 2

How close do most countries follow the teachings of their prospective religion's manuscripts such as the Holy Bible, Torah, Quran, and other sacred texts?

It appears to many that Muslim countries don't follow the teachings of the Quran/Koran. Does the United States appear to follow the teachings of the Holy Bible? Did ancient Rome or Greece follow the teachings of the Holy Bible after Christianity became the prevalent religion?

I'm interested in how closely countries and cultures actually follow the bibles/manuscripts of their cultures. Have some countries become closer to following these teachings and have some become farther from these teachings?

Christianity, Judaism, and Islam all have ties to the God of Abraham. All three started in the same region and yet are completely different of how they view Jesus Christ.

So in relation to what each country's main religious scriptures teach, who come the closest? Israel, Japan, India?
In relation to "works" such as equal rights, treatment of women, forgiving others, helping others, living in unity with other religions, conservation of the Earth, or whatever their scriptures teach?
Things such as diet requirements, clothing, jewelery, hair length, worshiping & worship services, humbleness, meekness, showing love, peace, sharing, etc.
What country holds the record for doing this in the history of modern man?

You ask many questions Grasshopper :). The USA seems to be following the teachings gained from scripture with the outlooks of Reform and Protestant Christianity, in my view. In fact, to my view, it was created by people with closeness to this the ideals of these Christian communities. For example the ideas of individual freedom and the pursuit of happiness are ideals I would attribute to the theology of Reform and Protestant Christianity.

I think most nations follow the spiritual ideals of their spirituality in their constitutions, according to their interpretations or stress as to meaning...
And it seems that economics can be a cause for interpretation. For example the Baptist of the North were not always aligned in belief with the Baptist of the South even though they shared the same KJV.

gordon 2

Example:
Sharia (Islamic law) deals with many topics addressed by secular law, including crime, politics, and economics, as well as personal matters such as sexual intercourse, hygiene, diet, prayer, everyday etiquette and fasting. Adherence to Islamic law has served as one of the distinguishing characteristics of the Muslim faith historically, and through the centuries Muslims have devoted much scholarly time and effort on its elaboration.

Are Islamic/Muslim countries basing their country's laws on the Koran? If so why do they differ from Christianity and Judaism if all three have common roots?

Why do Islam and Judaism dwell on sexual intercourse, hygiene, diet, prayer, everyday etiquette and fasting?
Why has Christianity advanced past "works" and have moved away from these things towards following the teachings of Jesus pertaining mostly to love, helping others, and forgiveness?
Not all Christians but I see it as being more spiritual in actions than physical in works and actions of diet & worship.
How we as Christians or any religion for that matter show more attributes of a spirit instead of a fleshy human, especially pertaining to humanity, we become more what we are suppose to become.
Helping a fellow person in need of help such as feeding or clothing is way more about Christianity than diet, worship procedures, sexual intercourse rules, etc.
I would hope as Christians we have learned what Jesus was teaching. We need to develop spiritually and forget the legalism some of the other religions have.
I believe we as a nation are making strides in this direction. I doubt very seriously that we are even close to being the best.
I doubt there is a better teacher than Jesus.
I'm not that acquainted with the Koran but I'm sure Muslim countries could use improvements on it's teachings too.
Yet it is a religion based on works instead of grace.

One of the big problems with Christianity is Christians-- who think they have scraped the bottom of the pot when it comes to God's grace through the Gospel and they minister to others who know them for only having stirred at the top.

gordon 2

Somewhat related would be what religions and/or in the Christian umbrella/denominations, live by what most individuals see as presenting the best attributes of humanity?
Things such as showing love, helping his fellow man, forgiving others, turning the other cheek, rights of women & children, against slavery, workplace safety, environmental issues, peace, not taking other people's land, etc.

I'm reminded of the Amish, possibly sects such as Kung Fu, Native American religions & Hinduism.

Christianity is governed by grace. This very fact is based solely on the love from God. If we in fact as Christians followed this example we would definitely have the best attributes. But then again we are but meager Old Self men at the mercy or our flesh. Perhaps there is no nirvana on the Earth in this life.
Yet just as I'm doing, I'm trying to see whom is better at achieving it.
Lucky for Christians, as most believe, we have a Savior from this non-ability to achieve perfection.
But do we have a monopoly on this after world perfection concept?
Aren't we required to at least be as perfect as our New spiritual selves can persuade our Old selves to become?

Christians are required to put on Christ. Christ is God's finest grace, it is the offer of Himself to everyone of our generation. And yet it is a choice people make to put him on.... and sometimes the savior they put on is a put on, though they call him Christ-- it is not Christ !

Artfuldodger

You ask many questions Grasshopper :). The USA seems to be following the teachings gained from scripture with the outlooks of Reform and Protestant Christianity, in my view. In fact, to my view, it was created by people with closeness to this the ideals of these Christian communities. For example the ideas of individual freedom and the pursuit of happiness are ideals I would attribute to the theology of Reform and Protestant Christianity.

I think most nations follow the spiritual ideals of their spirituality in their constitutions, according to their interpretations or stress as to meaning...
And it seems that economics can be a cause for interpretation. For example the Baptist of the North were not always aligned in belief with the Baptist of the South even though they shared the same KJV.

I'm beginning to see more with my eyes closed Master Po.