Trailer tires

hipster dufus

The tires on my trailer are wearing on the inside only.5 yo tires,close to replacing time.anyone have ideas on how to make sure new ones last? 1648 jon st175/80d13 i usuay rotate the spare in once a year. Grease and check bearings couple times a year. Thanks

Several years ago I had the same thing on my duck boat. I thought my boat trailer was out of line and all that stuff. But I change my tires and then my problem went away. I think I just had some bad tires.

jeremyledford

This is usually caused by having too heavy of a load on a light axle. But my 1648 isn't heavy and I reckon yours isn't either. Has it always done this or do you know?

Might need a new axle. I was loosing tires at an alarming rate. I can't remember if it was the very inside or the very outside, but it would go bad long before the rest of the tire. Put on new axles and was able to keep a set of tires for the next 5 years with no issues.

Bream Pole

inflation level possibly the problem

Ihunt

I'm had the same problem on a 1860 G3. Axle wasn't big enough.

Climb under your boat and see if the load rating is still on your axle. Then google the weight of everything. Mine was fine as long as I didn't have anything in it. When I loaded the boat with all of my gear, I was over and it wore out my tires very quickly. Changed out the axle and problem was gone!

hipster dufus

gotta say tires are 5 yrs old.was gonna change em out at end of this yr anyway. will check everything out before i buy new ones. rating is still on axle gotta climb under and look at it, will also put a straight edge on it and check bearings and bolts. any reccomendations on new tire brands probably put 3-4k on trailer a yr. so these tires probably have at least 10k on em. can i really expect more then that?

95g atl

axle could be bent
AND/OR

loose wheel bearings.

Last edited:

jeremyledford

gotta say tires are 5 yrs old.was gonna change em out at end of this yr anyway. will check everything out before i buy new ones. rating is still on axle gotta climb under and look at it, will also put a straight edge on it and check bearings and bolts. any reccomendations on new tire brands probably put 3-4k on trailer a yr. so these tires probably have at least 10k on em. can i really expect more then that?

Smaller tires wear faster but these aren't small tires. I'd expect about 25-30k miles. Age kills trailer tires on boats as most of us don't replace due to (even) wear.
I don't trust boat trailer (load range C, normally). They get replaced after 3 years.

JBGriffith

Inside wear usually means bent axle. Wear inside and out would be low pressure. Can't really check it with a straight edge as axles come with a camber unless it's a torsion axle with no leaf springs.

hipster dufus

well i went and pulled my wheels off the trailer. the tires looked bad enough that i replaced em. went with radials. checked bearings hubs and cleaned em up. set pressure at 50#s on new ones and spare. per sidewall.bought a good gage a little while ago so i know they r at 50.lug nuts came off a little too easy. maybe that was my problem. when i got everything back together crawled under and found sticker still on axle, 2000# axle, no camber. used straight edge and did find crown on top of axle. whole outfit comes in under 1400 lbs. old tires had about 12k on em. is that a lot or a little amount?will have to buy another tire to replace spare cause it is bias ply. appreciate all the help folks and will monitor situation.

Latest posts