Strange mountain critter id ?

Dixiesimpleman32

GONetwork Member
Saw a critter cross the road in front of me today. I was up in rabun county. It was about two n half feet long. It was about 8 inches tall. Dark color in front lighter toward back. Looked like feret or mink . I have not seen a critter like it around my neck of the woods around pike. Any ideas what I saw. It was fast short legged critter. Also saw a armadilo on 441north of athens.

Dixiesimpleman32

GONetwork Member
Could have been fox squirrel but a bunch of those around my place. See them a lot. Looked more like feret or mink .it didn't look like it had a tail

Dixiesimpleman32

GONetwork Member
Looked to be to small to be a otter. I see a lot of those around the house. It was long thin like a feret or mink .

Possum

Banned
We have weasels around here. Only one I ever saw was about 12" long. But 2.5' long sounds more like otter. There are no fox squirrels around here.
We have armadillos up here as well.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
Looked to be to small to be a otter. I see a lot of those around the house. It was long thin like a feret or mink .

Could have been a mink, that's within their normal range. They're around, but very rare to see. I've only seen one in my life.

Dixiesimpleman32

GONetwork Member
Thanks for replies. I believe it was a mink or weasel. Had real short legs ran real fast .stayed low did not jump or hop when it ran. It was a cool looking critter.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
You familiar with groundhogs? If not a mink, coulda been a half-grown groundhog. Mink are dark all over.

Possum

Banned
Hard to believe any one would describe a groundhog as looking like a ferret.