Legal amount of rifle rounds

blindhog

I thought it was 5. A fellow at a LGS told me the law has been changed and you could hunt with a 30 round mag if you wnt to.

True or false?

ryanh487

There is no limit on rifle rounds, hasn't been for as long as I can remember. Shotgun was 5 and that went away recently.

chris41081

I've always been in the same boat as you. I was always told it was a 5 round limit until just recently. Someone told me that was not true and you could use a 30 round magazine. Not that I need 30 rounds for deer hunting but that's not the point. Don't recall anything in the regulation book about it.

Philbow

Ya'll do know that the old Winchester 94 carbine in 30-30 holds 7 in the magazine. The Marlin 336 holds 6 in the magazine in 30-30. And that does not include these lever actions in the pistol calibers, 44 mag and 357 mag.
I don't think there ever was a limit for rifles.

Katalee

Rifle magazine capacity has never been 5 rounds . As long as I can remember there has never been a limit on rifles.

B

BornNRaised

No limit...here in Ga or Al.

Me and my buddy Dakota in Alabama just looked this up because he heard though the grape vine EXACTLY what you said.

dick7.62

Look in the 2017-2018 hunting regulation book page 12 right column about half way down the page under Weapon Restrictions, Deer & Bear Firearms, Modern Rifles and Handguns. Direct quote "There is no restriction on magazine capacity for rifles".

Ohoopee Tusker

Ya'll do know that the old Winchester 94 carbine in 30-30 holds 7 in the magazine. The Marlin 336 holds 6 in the magazine in 30-30. And that does not include these lever actions in the pistol calibers, 44 mag and 357 mag.
I don't think there ever was a limit for rifles.

Some don't have a clue. My 70+ year old bolt action .303 brit holds 11 rounds.

it has been

quit some time since rifle mags were limited.

However, shotgun regs are different. All game hunters are capped off at 3 rounds except deer and bear.

"Plugged Shotguns: For hunting game animals other than deer and
bear, shotguns shall be limited to a capacity of not more than 3 shells"

s&r

Sargent

It shouldn't matter... You should only need one.
:biggrin2: