River Creek

The Professor

My son got drawn for the River Creek hunt Dec 29-31. He has never killed a nice buck. Any help and guidance you can give will be greatly appreciated.

diamondback

Woodsman is correct. You can scout anytime but you have to park at the gate and walk in. It's a pretty place but weather is every thing there. If it's hot it will be very slow. If it's a good frosty morning it can be a hunt of a lifetime.

Mako22

BANNED
Woodsman is correct. You can scout anytime but you have to park at the gate and walk in. It's a pretty place but weather is every thing there. If it's hot it will be very slow. If it's a good frosty morning it can be a hunt of a lifetime.

Can you ride a mountain bike in there?

cbradley11

I didn't feel like walking since I can just go back tomorrow. They are logging in there right now. Won't know where until I get in there.

diamondback

Woodsman I think a bike is ok. Had a fried riding out there last year.
Went out there today and rode around doing some scouting. In typical ga DNR fashion ,they have destroyed the place. Loggers in there now and looks like they've been in there all year. Not only cutting pines but cutting a lot of giant oaks down and just piling them in burn piles. A lot of old windrows and wet spots and branches that had water oaks and live oaks were cleared. Really ticks me off they destroy our public hunting areas to make a buck. Then don't even plant decent food plots .you would think that any money made off these areas should be put back into it.

JBowers

Went out there today and rode around doing some scouting. In typical ga DNR fashion ,they have destroyed the place. Loggers in there now and looks like they've been in there all year. Not only cutting pines but cutting a lot of giant oaks down and just piling them in burn piles. A lot of old windrows and wet spots and branches that had water oaks and live oaks were cleared. Really ticks me off they destroy our public hunting areas to make a buck. Then don't even plant decent food plots .you would think that any money made off these areas should be put back into it.

DNR does not own Rum Creek and therefore has no authority over the timber rights.

On state-owned lands where we do hold the timber rights, the revenue generated from the sale of timber must, by federal law, be put back into our WSFR Program areas (i.e., Pittman-Robertson for wildlife and Dingell-Johnson for fisheries).

It's disappointing when folks spread misinformation, intentionally or unintentionally. Checking facts, sources and understanding program operations is a difficult job but it is critical if we desire a knowledgeable and informed society. Our elections are a prime example of the results of misinformation and fake news. We ca do better if we govern ourselves accordingly.

diamondback

DNR does not own Rum Creek and therefore has no authority over the timber rights.

On state-owned lands where we do hold the timber rights, the revenue generated from the sale of timber must, by federal law, be put back into our WSFR Program areas (i.e., Pittman-Robertson for wildlife and Dingell-Johnson for fisheries).

It's disappointing when folks spread misinformation, intentionally or unintentionally. Checking facts, sources and understanding program operations is a difficult job but it is critical if we desire a knowledgeable and informed society. Our elections are a prime example of the results of misinformation and fake news. We ca do better if we govern ourselves accordingly.
River creek. Not rum creek. And you are right. I don't know who owns all the wma lands in ga. Or who owns the timber rights on all of them. All I know is when I go to hunt a wma that has very limited access and I show up and have to dodge log trucks coming in and out and avoid them to have a peaceful hunt, I'm not happy with where my money is being spent as a outdoorsman. I get it as far as pine management but cutting down oaks just doesn't make sense to me on a qdm wma where as far as I can tell no food plots for deer have been planted. It did look like something had been planted in the duck pond that only has 3 days of quota hunting allowed,and the dove field looked to have been planted with sunflowers maybe for 2 days of youth quota hunts. But you are right. Without knowing what the big plan is on these public lands ,we may be missing the big picture. maybe you can tell us where the plans are for each wma can be found.

Last edited:

Tomboy Boots

Turkey Killer

Regardless of whether it is River Creek or Rum Creek, your remark covered them all. "In typical DNR fashion, they have destroyed the place. Really ticks me off they destroy our public hunting areas to make a buck. Then don't even plant decent food plots, you would think that any money made off these areas should be put back into it. " Perhaps before you make statements like that you should do some research. I get so tired of seeing people complain and talk negatively about the DNR, more specifically the Wildlife Resources Division. There is more to it than simply providing a hunting paradise for us. The goals set by the DNR are ultimately for the good of the wildlife on the property which in turn benefits us as hunters. Perhaps we should seek to understand before we bash them publicly. I personally think they do a good job and appreciate the public hunting opportunities they provide.

woody10

River creek. Not rum creek. And you are right. I don't know who owns all the wma lands in ga. Or who owns the timber rights on all of them. All I know is when I go to hunt a wma that has very limited access and I show up and have to dodge log trucks coming in and out and avoid them to have a peaceful hunt, I'm not happy with where my money is being spent as a outdoorsman. I get it as far as pine management but cutting down oaks just doesn't make sense to me on a qdm wma where as far as I can tell no food plots for deer have been planted. It did look like something had been planted in the duck pond that only has 3 days of quota hunting allowed,and the dove field looked to have been planted with sunflowers maybe for 2 days of youth quota hunts. But you are right. Without knowing what the big plan is on these public lands ,we may be missing the big picture. maybe you can tell us where the plans are for each wma can be found.
Some of the wma lands aren't even state owned the timber companies still own some of the lands and timber rights of not mistaken.

Latest posts