Fishin after a hurricane

HuntinJake_23

We are still going to St. George Island in two weeks(09/23 - 09/30) and was wondering how the fishing will be after Irma Moves through this week. I know St. George won't be getting hit head on, but I'm sure it will get some rough waters, winds, and rain!!

jaymax00

I have heard of gags being pushed in the bay. Haven't witnessed it myself but that's what they say. Gonna be a lot of trash

Msteele

I'll be there that same week. I'll have the kayak and my buddy is bringing his boat for off shore. Hopefully between the two of us somebody will find some good water with fish.

perryrip

HuntinJake, I went out last year in the SouthNewport area 4 days after Matthew and had the best day on trout I've ever had. The only difference this year is the tides are still high after Irma, which will make it muddy in our area. Totally different in FL.

HuntinJake_23

Sounds promising, maybe we can do a small GON Forum meet up at the east end or the cut. I'll be staying in the Plantation!! Good luck to all

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
The only thing that will mess it up is if it got the bay muddy. Other than that, y'all should hammer down on them.

I was down this past weekend and also will be there the last week of September. I left the Pathfinder home this trip for other reasons but I did bring down my 14' jon boat. I fished from the runway to the three crosses on the bay side. Couldn't run too far in case the weather kicked up. We managed two reds at 24" & 26 1/2" and a couple trout. Water was a tad muddy but not as bad as its been and should clear up by next weekend if we don't see much rain. Bait was every where but couldn't get a bite on it. I netted all the finger mullet you could need but it didn't produce. All our fish come on gulp new penny. Go figure. Praying for great weather and if so I'll be doing inshore and offshore trips. I'll try and keep posting while I'm there and see what everyone else is doing. GONoob I'll take any tips you can dish about offshore but my offshore will be within around 10 miles with good seas.

BWebb88

Caught 9 trout from 3 to 6pm today, 4 keepers, and my personal best 21.5 incher. Of course, I had em cleaned before I thought of pictures.
I gotta get a red tomorrow...

Nice job esp. in this wind. I haven't launched the boat yet. My girlfriends daughter don’t handle the chop very well but they’re leaving today. I’ll get after them the rest of the week. What area are you fishing?

HuntinJake_23

Tough fishing in the surf this morning. Managed to catch a nice slot red(19 inches), a few croakers, and a bunch of catfish!! Gonna try the bay tonight!!

Attachments

• IMG_5547.jpg
    IMG_5547.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 447

HuntinJake_23

Tried the bay after a good nap and my sister in law caught a a trout that measured in at 14inches, so back it went. My grandpa also caught a bonnet head shark. With the tide coming in we are going to give the pier a shot.

Attachments

• IMG_5553.jpg
    IMG_5553.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 434

Msteele

Wind was awful today. Launched the kayak only to paddle over to the closest oyster bar. As I was netting finger mullet a nice guy in the military paddled over to join me. Sorry I didn't get his name. We caught reds and sharks. He had a 24" red and my biggest was 22".
Hope to go offshore in the am.

Attachments

• IMG_5904.jpg
    IMG_5904.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 419

BWebb88

That'd be me msteele.

It was tough this morning. I messed with a big Ole ray for 40 minutes. He was big. 5 to 6 feet long including the tail. Closer to 6 is say.
I don't think I ever could have got him landed with the equipment I had out there.
Landed a smaller ray and lost 2 more hooks to sharks. Lessons learned, next time I'll have steal leaders.

Still a fun weekend. Good luck to all yall the rest of the week

BWebb88

Nice job esp. in this wind. I haven't launched the boat yet. My girlfriends daughter don’t handle the chop very well but they’re leaving today. I’ll get after them the rest of the week. What area are you fishing?

Hey sorry, I just saw this. Wasn't ignoring you on purpose.
The trout came from around goose island, by the boyscout ramp in the state park. Live mullet and pin fish under a popping cork. Over grass.