Whopper Plopper

For those who are using, which color is working well and when are you throwing them? All day bait or early morning/late evening like a buzz bait?

Loon is a popular color out west but I'm having a hard time convincing myself a black top water bait would produce well compared to bone or translucent colors.

Thanks!

Coenen

I've got one in Crystal Minnow, and another in Bone. Crystal Minnow has been the better producer so far, but I feel like I've the times I've used it were better chances to catch fish than when I was throwing the bone.

In the spring I had success pretty much throughout the day. It's a pretty versatile bait, give you lots of options on the retrieve.

spkoli

I have the Terminator and the Blue Blood in the 90. Loon in the 130. Caught maybe one on the Terminator.

Jcook54

I only throw the Monkey "hind qtrs" and have had good results. I bought it a few years ago and selected this color because it had the fewest left on the shelf. Not all that scientific but it's worked well for me so far.

scottpriest

I throw the shad pattern in shad lakes (Allatoona) and the Sunfish pattern in Ponds. I have had good success with them. But it's just an early morning late evening lure for me. I don't throw them all day.

King.Of.Anglers.Jeremiah

Fishing ? Instructor!
I have the rat a tat, shad pattern, black/yellow, and chartreuse shad all in the 90 size. Not A single fish on any one of them. Throw A buzz bait instead.

The mtn man

I've threw my arm off fishing the whopper plopper , i haven't had a single fish hit it. Just the other day I was fishing nottley, had spots and largemouth chasing schooling bait. I threw and threw that thing with no results. My fishing partner was throwing a spook and tearing them up. I switch to a 5inch flutter spoon and started fast ripping it near the surface and started tearing them up . I fished the whopper plopper all summer and have not had a single strike on it. I'm retiring it as of now.

2bbshot

I've threw my arm off fishing the whopper plopper , i haven't had a single fish hit it. Just the other day I was fishing nottley, had spots and largemouth chasing schooling bait. I threw and threw that thing with no results. My fishing partner was throwing a spook and tearing them up. I switch to a 5inch flutter spoon and started fast ripping it near the surface and started tearing them up . I fished the whopper plopper all summer and have not had a single strike on it. I'm retiring it as of now.

What color and size you got ill give ya 10 bucks for it shipped if I can use the color.

61BelAir

I guess I'm one of the few who haven't tried one yet. I do like that it acts like a buzzbait, but can be paused. That's why I've caught more bass on a torpedo than a buzzbait. I guess this would have the best features of both.

Shawn Holcombe

I guess I'm one of the few who haven't tried one yet. I do like that it acts like a buzzbait, but can be paused. That's why I've caught more bass on a torpedo than a buzzbait. I guess this would have the best features of both.
love a baby torpedo!! Its my go to top water bass bait!:flag:

61BelAir

love a baby torpedo!! Its my go to top water bass bait!:flag:

Mine too, but for some reason I haven't gotten bit on one much this year.
Last year I caught an 8 & a 9 and lost a couple of big ones to broken line (forgot to loosen drag on both occasions). :banginghe I can't even count how many smaller bass, jack, bowfin, and nice bream.

This year I've still thrown it a lot, but it's not getting any interest. Not even missed strikes. About all I've done with one lately is play with gars at the river.

grey goose 01

Bone color in size 90. Caught a 6+ on it. They seem to like the sound that size makes better. 110 and 130, not so much, at least not for me. Modify it by putting a split ring and swivel on it, and maybe upgrade the hooks to triple grips. I got extreme line twist with a 90 right out of the package.

TroyBoy30

the line twist comes from fast reeling back to the boat and causing the entire bait to spin. least that's what i've found

Tmpr111

It's pretty easy to see when it's twisting the line, no different than any other top-water lure when tangled or hung on it's hooks.

I like the lure, it's different, it's big and when one hits it's normally aggressive and exciting! I've definitely found the usual times for topwater to be better (it's a great night lure too, it's big and loud!!!). I had the best luck in the spring and early summer in the ponds and lake that I fish when fishing close to standing reeds and the bank -- maybe they thought it was a dern baby bird or something :)

bvi

Surprisingly is a great bait!
Caught several bass over 5lb in Forsyth county this summer. Catches spotted bass on Lanier, even size 130 catches small spotted bass.
The color as I always say - does not make any difference (it's all about marketing to sell more baits).
Caught fish on black, white and red ploppers.

37704393001_3e28797c38_c.jpg

37655529746_8d4a03f0a4_c.jpg

37704387141_5a9f693288_c.jpg

37704384601_9ac3a349d3_c.jpg

37033834673_7b0f17d9f0_c.jpg

61BelAir

The real "whopper plopper" in the last picture is that FS12T. We enjoy fishing out of ours as much as the bass boat.