Wind

Hillbilly stalker

I seldom even look at the weather channel. When I step out the back door of my house, I know NSEW and can feel it. Kinda redneck, but I have a 4 inch piece of wire on my Radio antenna at a 90 degree angle on my truck, hanging off it is a piece of unwaxed dental floss about 8 inches long. When I pull up to where I'm hunting, it takes a simple glance to know what the wind is doing at that location and if I need to enter from another side. Landscape has a lot to do with how the wind is acting in a small area. As for telling several days in advanced......they cant get it right if its gonna rain tomorrow biggest part of the time.

dixiecutter

Eye Devour ReeB
some people need to make up their mind the day before. Also the www can (try) to show how and when the wind is going to change. dont let these folks discourage you from checking the wind in advance of the wind. anyway, I us a website. I'll link you to the Blakely, Ga one, you can use the pull down menu to change it to the state/area you are in. Pretty reliable for me, http://www.usairnet.com/cgi-bin/launch/code.cgi?Submit=Go&sta=KBIJ

Doubletrouble

kbuck1

Its nice to have an idea what the wind is going to do before hand. You would know whether to risk hunting a stand or not based on what the wind is going to do the last hour of light for example. I use hunt stand and make decisions the day before sometimes to hunt different pieces of property based off what the wind is going to do. If i waited to show up at my hunting spot to check the wind I may find out i should have hunted another property.

Doubletrouble

Its nice to have an idea what the wind is going to do before hand. You would know whether to risk hunting a stand or not based on what the wind is going to do the last hour of light for example. I use hunt stand and make decisions the day before sometimes to hunt different pieces of property based off what the wind is going to do. If i waited to show up at my hunting spot to check the wind I may find out i should have hunted another property.

Thanks!

dixiecutter

Eye Devour ReeB
like i'm gonna drive my truck down in the woods and get out and see where the wind is? I've never left home out without checking the wind. Before they invented the internet me and Dad looked at the weatherman on tv. I think couple dudes on here owe you,me and my Dad and some others an appology. Anybody that thinks checking the wind in advance is not ok, is an total stupid moron idiot. how's that for strong words?

dixiecutter

Eye Devour ReeB
besides most the time wind aint even blowing til an hour after daylight. bunch of hogwash up in here. Looking up the wind before you make your plans is great idea.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
Those sound like good apps. I build a fire and watch the smoke. I hang a sting at my stand to watch which way also. Just some stand tips. Liter and a dry leaf.

dblnranch

I like Scout Look, scent cone and all.

And for the record, I do know how to determine wind direction by going outside.. just sayin. The same way I determine it's hot or cold or its raining, but still watch the westher..

southerndraw

Use one of those new wind thing of majiggy's and you don't have to worry about the wind...?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
like i'm gonna drive my truck down in the woods and get out and see where the wind is? I've never left home out without checking the wind. Before they invented the internet me and Dad looked at the weatherman on tv. I think couple dudes on here owe you,me and my Dad and some others an appology. Anybody that thinks checking the wind in advance is not ok, is an total stupid moron idiot. how's that for strong words?

I think you're misunderstanding what I'm saying. Yes, I'll look in advance myself to get a general idea. But, what I see on the TV or an internet app or on my front porch is not usually what I see when I get to where I'm hunting.

In flat country, the apps might work better. But when you factor in a maze of ridges, hollers, and creek bottoms, the wind behaves like it wants to. And it may be blowing a different way a hundred yards away. Not to mention thermals-most places I hunt, the wind will often change directions as soon as the sun comes up and the air starts warming. I still trust what I see myself over what Willard the weatherman sitting in a city fifty miles away; or Siri, the little electronic person who lives in my cellphone, tells me.

Triple C

Been using the Primos wind app for several years. I assume all of the apps use the same source to deliver wind direction. Gives me the general direction the wind is blowing on our place. Also look at the hourly forecast on the weather channel app to see the direction of the wind in the hours ahead.

Next time you're at camp with a fire going, check the direction of the smoke against your wind app. It's surprisingly accurate.
IMG_4150.jpg IMG_4151.jpg

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
Huntstand lite is a great, great app that keeps getting better. To answer some folks on here, no it will not tell you what the wind is doing in a specific area at any given moment because of terrain and tree lines and field edges and swales etc. It will however tell you what the prevailing wind is expected be at any given hour of the day, which in turn helps me choose what stand to hunt.

If it's a stand or area I've never hunted, I wont know 100% for sure what the wind is going to do until I get there, but I can promise that I wont choose a stand without knowing what the prevailing wind is, and whether I use huntstand, weather.com, google or my middle finger I'm gonna have a good idea before I slide into an area.

Btw, I also still keep a string tied to my bow limb that tells me what the faintest thermals are doing at that exact second. I do that so that I know if I will have a minute to enjoy looking at a deer before I have to shoot :)

B. White

I get a general idea by how the smoke blows the night before. I throw a piece of wood on in the a.m. and make a final decision. Then, I check the app while in the stand to see how close it is to reality. I've got huntstand and it seems ok until the sun gets up.

hoythunter1861

Here's been my experience. To those that are completely against apps, it's something to think about.
Georgia is different than other states (predominantly mid-west) in that we have a bunch of swirling winds. However, when on stand (if you get bored and pay attention to such things like me) you will notice there is a direction the wind blows 60+% more than any other direction. This is that prevailing wind, which the different apps will show. When I look on an app, I can see where my stand is, and how that wind is affecting it.
But personally, making it seem like just because someone wants to use an app, sure doesn't make them less of a woodsman. Shoot, standing outside you might feel that bit of swirling wind from a different direction and then set up wrong. So why not help?
Or, let's make it all moot and just smoke up the clothes. Now I don't pay attention to the wind nearly as much and still see more deer!