FFL transfer and shipping question?

ssramage

Need advice on the best way to handle this. My brother is temporarily working in Virginia. His home address is still listed as my dad's house here in GA. He is without a deer rifle this year and wants to buy one of mine. I would need to ship it, FFL to FFL. But will there be any issue shipping it to him in VA when his license still shows GA?

ryanh487

Take it apart and make two shipments...

The serialized receiver is the firearm. This is a felony.

If he's there on temporary assignment, he's a GA resident. He can either come to GA and buy your rifle, or you could loan it to him and meet him somewhere halfway to hand it off. No laws about loaning a gun to family that are legally allowed to possess a firearm. As far as purchases are concerned, I'm not really sure if the geography of a private sale matters so much as the state of residence of both parties. There's also no law about how generous he can be with reimbursing your gas expenses for driving up to loan him your rifle... just sayin.

fishtail

Correct me if I’m wrong.
Can’t he just easily buy a long firearm from a dealer in VA with a GA resident identification?

Grub Master

He can buy a long gun out of state. I have purchased long guns in VA while living in GA. He can't buy a hand gun out of state.
I would call the local Virginia FFL where he lives and ask, just to be sure.

PappyHoel

Isn't VA shotgun only? It's been a long time since I hunted there but I thought that was the rule. I also remember that there was no hunting on Sunday. I was so glad to leave that state.

Kanook

He can have it transferred via FFL with no problems.

Unless the receiving FFL requires it, it doesn't have to be FFL to FFL, only FFL on the other end.

lagrangedave

Gone But Not Forgotten
The serialized receiver is the firearm. This is a felony.

If he's there on temporary assignment, he's a GA resident. He can either come to GA and buy your rifle, or you could loan it to him and meet him somewhere halfway to hand it off. No laws about loaning a gun to family that are legally allowed to possess a firearm. As far as purchases are concerned, I'm not really sure if the geography of a private sale matters so much as the state of residence of both parties. There's also no law about how generous he can be with reimbursing your gas expenses for driving up to loan him your rifle... just sayin.

Make NO laws...............