40 Years Ago..

srb

The Plane Crash In Mississippi Killed band members Of Lynyrd Skynerd
RIP

Last edited:

Big7

The Oracle
Lynyrd.. Lust sayin'. :D

Steve Gaines was the best guitarist the band ever had.
(out of 10 or more over the years)
;)

Cmp1

BANNED
Did a tribute to them yesterday,,,, would've loved to have heard the next album with the original members,,,,

Cmp1

BANNED
Think of all the rock and roll artists we've lost to airplane crashes, car crashes, motorcycle crashes,,,, let alone overdoses,,,,

sinclair1

I learned something today. I didn't know artimus pile survived the crash and stumbled into a neighboring farm house property for help and the owner Came out and shot him.
He said in a anniversary interview, he had no ill feelings because he was all bloody and looked like Charles Manson

KyDawg

Gone But Not Forgotten
Can not believe it has been 40 years. Where oh where do the years go. Best Southern Rock band ever. Arguably the best overall rock band ever.

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
Go to YouTube and look up the Knebworth(UK) concert. It was '76 or so. LS was awesome!

Cmp1

BANNED
Can not believe it has been 40 years. Where oh where do the years go. Best Southern Rock band ever. Arguably the best overall rock band ever.

This,,,, at least in my top ten favorite bands,,,,the boxed set covers them really well,,,, and a few you never hear,,,,

Oldstick

Lynyrd.. Lust sayin'. :D

Steve Gaines was the best guitarist the band ever had.
(out of 10 or more over the years)
;)

Without a doubt. I never was really all that up on their whole history and names of all the members, etc.

But then I watched one of the documentaries a while back and it was startling how much boost they got when Steve joined. Amazing to learn they were looking for someone and Cassie Gaines suggested giving her brother an audition.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Gaines was great and a flashy player, (and also a good singer and songwriter,) but Rossington's guitar was always the heart of the band and the cornerstone of their sound. As long as Gary's there, it sounds like Skynyrd no matter who else is playing. Without him, it wouldn't. You can't say that about any other guitarist they've had. Kind of like Jimmy Page was 90% of Zeppelin.

Sadly, Gary Rossington and Artimus Pyle are the only crash survivors still alive. Allen, Billy, Leon, have gone one by one. I think Bob Burns (the original drummer replaced by Artimus,) died a while back, too.

Ed King, who wasn't in the crash, but co-wrote Sweet Home Alabama and played guitar on the first three albums, is still alive, but I don't think he plays any more much. Artimus lives near me and plays locally sometimes. Ricky Medlocke, of Blackfoot and recent Skynyrd, originally played with the band back before they got a record deal. He played drums on some of the First and Last demo tracks, and sang "White Dove."

Artfuldodger

Interesting history. I remember they pulled the Street Survivor albums with the flames or at least changed the cover.

They were one of my favorites in high school, along with the rest of the town. For some reason I wasn't a fan of the Allman Bros. back then. I kinda progressed away from LS and Molly Hatchet towards Marshall Tucker, Charlie Daniels, Elvin Bishop, Neil Young, and others.
Then later I was into the more blues side of rock and roll and got into the Allman Bros, Butterfield Blues Band, Climax Blues Band, etc.

Still have to say Lynyrd Skynyrd was one of the best for playing it all including some Honk. I would say they personified "Southern Rock."
"Gimme Three Steps" is considered a Honky Tonk song. Maybe "Call Me the Breeze, written by J.J. Cale"

Last edited:

Cmp1

BANNED
Interesting history. I remember they pulled the Street Survivor albums with the flames or at least changed the cover.

They were one of my favorites in high school, along with the rest of the town. For some reason I wasn't a fan of the Allman Bros. back then. I kinda progressed away from LS and Molly Hatchet towards Marshall Tucker, Charlie Daniels, Elvin Bishop, Neil Young, and others.
Then later I was into the more blues side of rock and roll and got into the Allman Bros, Butterfield Blues Band, Climax Blues Band, etc.

Still have to say Lynyrd Skynyrd was one of the best for playing it all including some Honk. I would say they personified "Southern Rock."
"Gimme Three Steps" is considered a Honky Tonk song. Maybe "Call Me the Breeze, written by J.J. Cale"

Take a listen to,,,, He's Alive,,,, Needle and the Spoon,,,, Home is where the heart is,,,, great ones you don't hear much if ever on the radio,,,, truly southern rock,,,,

Latest posts