Poker Float on the FLint River

SOTW

The Thomaston Upson Chamber of Commerce will be holding its 2nd Annual Poker Float on the Flint River May
19th. The float will start at the Sprewell Bluff WMA and will end at Hwy 36 Bridge at the line of Upson and Talbot County. You can go to this site to read about the rules, cost and prizes.

http://www.thomastongachamber.com/pokerRun.html

SOTW

The grand prize kayak for the 2012 Flint River Canoe and Kayak Poker Float is a Wilderness Systems Tarpon 100 in yellow.

We have cash prizes as high as $250 as well as many other great items, so this is a very good opportunity to win some cash or something nice and have a great time floating the river (Sprewell Bluff to the 36 Bridge). The float takes between 2-4 hours depending on how you choose to spend your afternoon.

Canoe rentals (2 people, 2 paddles) and transportation are also available for $50 through a special 11:00 a.m. shuttle at the Flint River Outdoor Center. If you have your own canoe and want to use the shuttle drop off, you can catch the 11:00 a.m. shuttle for $25 (2 people/2 kayaks or 2 people/1 large canoe). We highly recommend this for the convenience factor!

Flatstacker

poker float ?

I know this may be a "stupid" question but ... what and how does a poker float work?

SOTW

Yup. Float, drink (if you wish),
and play poker all at the same time. There will be designated stops along the float where you will be given a card to your hand. At the end of the float whoever has the highest hand wins a kayak.. You can check out the link above to read up on the specific rules.

fish hawk

Bass Master
I didnt think there was any alcohol allowed in the state park....Better keep it in the cooler until you get on the river.

SOTW

I didnt think there was any alcohol allowed in the state park....Better keep it in the cooler until you get on the river.

Good point.....it's actually a WMA now. I wonder if that makes a difference? However I'm sure if you have your drinks in a cooler, not acting like a complete moron, and making sure you left the Place better than you found it you should be fine if you wanted to enjoy a few cold ones

SOTW

Registration is starting to pick up. If you are interested in the 2nd annual poker float, we hope that you will be able to make it out next weekend to float the beautiful Flint River.