Disappointed in Remington....

Arrow3

Two weeks before the season closed me and Duckhawk had just got the decoys set up and had backed up in some brush to wait till shooting light....I loaded my gun and settled in...I was basically holding the gun up with my left hand....About a minute after I loaded it the gun discharged right by head...I dropped the gun in the water when it went off and I was in shock....My ears were ringing and I felt the percussion on my face when it went off....I gathered myself together and fished my gun off the bottom....The saftey was still on and the shell had cycled through....I unloaded it as fast as possible....I have no idea what could have happened...I came a mere inches from blowing my head off....I sure am glad Nick was behind me....Needless to say I didnt hunt after that..I just did a little calling but I have been shook up ever since.....Im done with this gun...........Its about the most freaky hunting accident ive ever been witness to....Never take a loaded gun for granted....BTW its a remington 11-87 sp...

After several emails from me and a friend of mine, nothing has been responded to by Remington. I really thought they would want to take a look at the gun if nothing else...:huh:

jason bales

Banned
Two weeks before the season closed me and Duckhawk had just got the decoys set up and had backed up in some brush to wait till shooting light....I loaded my gun and settled in...I was basically holding the gun up with my left hand....About a minute after I loaded it the gun discharged right by head...I dropped the gun in the water when it went off and I was in shock....My ears were ringing and I felt the percussion on my face when it went off....I gathered myself together and fished my gun off the bottom....The saftey was still on and the shell had cycled through....I unloaded it as fast as possible....I have no idea what could have happened...I came a mere inches from blowing my head off....I sure am glad Nick was behind me....Needless to say I didnt hunt after that..I just did a little calling but I have been shook up ever since.....Im done with this gun...........Its about the most freaky hunting accident ive ever been witness to....Never take a loaded gun for granted....BTW its a remington 11-87 sp...

After several emails from me and a friend of mine, nothing has been responded to by Remington. I really thought they would want to take a look at the gun if nothing else...:huh:
glad your ok, burn that gun!

georgia_home

Sorry to hear that arrow! Luckily I've never has that problem with either of mine, one of which is an sp.

Maybe try calling. With all the publicity on the 700 recently, they may not feel to talkative. I'd hope this isn't the case, but you never know.

As a remmy guy, I hope they do right by you. I had "the 700 problem" 2 times in one day. I have not tried to call them. I've taken it out a few time since and have been unable to recreate the problem in testing. :(

tad1

Man that's scary, glad u r ok. That's why the #1 rule is having that muzzle pointed in a safe direcion... That rule has saved a lot of us!
I shoot a sp too but haven't had any issues.
JT

wranglerjoe1968

I called them when my 700 did that and they were more than helpful and took care of it. Good Luck with that.

Have you ever disassembled the gun for cleaning? Might be malfunctioning because of excessive use/grime or it was reassembled wrong. 11-87 are sensitive shotguns that require alot of maintenance.

secondseason

Retired Administrator
Not that I expect you will get much satisfaction, try calling them before you completely give up on them. They will be hard to reach directly so go through the regional authorized repair center and have them escalate it to someone higher up....

This is the regional authorized repair

Paducah Shooters
3919 Cairo Road
Paducah, KY 42001
(877) 772-3006

CAL

Brandon,if it were mine I would knock the two pins out of the receiver.This will allow the trigger mech.to come out of the gun.You can work the mech,in your hand.That way you can see what the problem is yourself.Also you can look at the sear ingagement and all the workings.Might be a broken spring or a piece of trash that caused the problem.This is not a big deal to do and really part of a good cleaning procedure.Good luck with what you decide.

Washington95

I called them when info came out on problem with Rem 700s. They told me I'd have to pay a fee to get it fixed. This when they did a supposedly safety notice about gun. Go figure. I just decided I'd keep gun like it was and have my widow sue them.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Remington Arms Company, Inc.
870 Remington Dr.
Madison, NC 27025-0700
NC Tel. 336-548-8700
Toll Free 800-243-9700
Fax 336-548-7801

Ted Torbek - Pres./CEO

;)

Arrow3

Sold the gun today....Sold it to a friend of mine thats gonna take it to Gun Doc and have him give it an overhaul.....

Also bought a Browning Gold 3 1/2 today...:cheers:

Skoal Brother

I don't understand, why didn't you just send it to Remington?

Arrow3

I don't understand, why didn't you just send it to Remington?

That's what I wanted to do. Remington wouldn't get back to me though after several emails and phone calls, I just have up on them.

rjcruiser

That's what I wanted to do. Remington wouldn't get back to me though after several emails and phone calls, I just have up on them.

That's interesting. I had an issue with some Remington Ammo and I talked to them over the phone. They had me ship the lot of ammo to them for testing...then gave me the results and replaced the ammo with like kind ammo (since they didn't have the stuff I had in stock). All shipping was on their dime too.

testdepth

Banned
PP customer service right there!!

You have a guy that is almost injured or killed with one of your guns firing while it is on safety and you don't bother to immediately return his email or phone call to take care of him!!

A bunch of corporate idiots called Cerberus Capital Partners owns the following companies: Remington, Marlin, L.C. Smith shotguns, Harrington & Richardson and New England Firearms.

More information.
The Outdoor Wires has learned that Remington Arms of Madison, North Carolina has acquired another of America’s longest-operating firearms companies, Marlin Firearms of North Haven, Connecticut.

This acquisition also adds H&R 1871, Inc. the Gardner, Massachusetts based manufacturer of single-shot rifles and L.C. Smith shotguns to the Remington line. Their single shots, marketed as Harrington & Richardson and New England Firearms make H&R 1871 is the largest manufacturer of single shot rifles and shotguns in the world. That company was acquired by Marlin in November of 2000.

Tommy Millner Remington’s CEO, says, “I am pleased to announce that Marlin’s well known brands with a long heritage of providing quality rifles and shotguns to hunters and shooters around the world will join the Remington family. The opportunity to combine two historic U.S. based companies with such storied and proud histories, is both challenging and exhilarating.”

“We look forward to working with Bob Behn, a well respected member of our industry. He will remain as president of Marlin, charting a course of further growth and operational improvement,” Millner continued.

With this acquisition, another longtime family-owned firearm company comes under a corporate umbrella. And that umbrella (Remington Arms) is part of a still larger umbrella, Cerberus Capital Partners. Today, Cerebus owns significant segments of the firearms market in every category except handguns.

Closing of the transaction is subject to certain customary conditions, including regulatory approvals. Credit Suisse acted as financial advisor to Remington with respect to this acquisition. Duff & Phelps Securities, LLC, a unit of Duff & Phelps Corporation (NYSE:DUF), initiated the transaction, assisted in the negotiations and acted as exclusive financial advisor to Marlin.

Frank Kenna III, Marlin’s Chairman, said, “Marlin has been a family run business since 1924 and through a number of important steps, we have grown it into the company it is today. We knew it was time to find the right partner for Marlin to ensure our brands maintain their leadership positions and move into the next century.”

Mr. Kenna III continued, “We believe Remington’s commitment to the industry, shooters and hunters alike, combined with their resources from a manufacturing and sales and marketing position, will reinforce the confidence, hard work and dedication that our employees and management have put into our brands.”

E. Scott Blackwell, Remington’s President of Global Sales/Marketing and Product Development, said, “The history of our two companies in innovation and meeting the needs of hunters and shooters around the globe, combined with the opportunity to further develop the Remington, Marlin, H&R, NEF and LC Smith brands, is not only beneficial to the Company and our channel partners, but especially to our to the end customer. And it is these customers and our employees that have contributed to the success and longevity of these brands.”

No actual financials are available for Marlin, but the family-owned company employs 575 and is estimated by Hoover’s/D&B to have annual revenues of approximately $28.3 million. When added to Remington’s sales, the combined companies will have revenues approaching a half-billion dollars. Additionally, the addition of Marlin/H&R 1871 will give Remington the distinction of being owner of the world’s largest producer of single shot rifles and shotguns as well as the only manufacturer of both firearms and ammunition products in the United States, and Cerberus Capital Partners ownership of the largest holding of firearms companies in the United States.

emusmacker

I had my new Remington 887 nitro mag break on last goose season, I called Remington at their Illion NY plant and they gave me the info to return it. They sent brand new shotgun back. The problem according to the guy I talked with on the phone was that Remington was pressed to get that new shotgun out for waterfowl season that some shortcuts were taken. Some 887's were built with cast receivers and some with steel, mine was one of the cast ones. The new they sent me has steel. From waht I understand, all those with cast have been recalled.

I'll deal with Remington again, they're my favorite gun maker, and Ruger is up there. FWIW, I have some issues dealing with Browning. I heard how great they were and was VERY surprised at the lack of customer service. Maybe I should have called their Japan office.

Bucky T

GONetwork Member
I had some faulty core lokts from Remington last year.

Went through their procedure on line to report defective products and I've never heard back from them................

rjcruiser

I had some faulty core lokts from Remington last year.

Went through their procedure on line to report defective products and I've never heard back from them................

how were they faulty?

Call them...that is what I did.