Shed traps?

mdgreco191

I have been wanting to try out a shed trap or two. I was thinking that a few posts driven into the ground in a V shape would work. I am scared to add wire to it. I don't want to hurt any deer. Anyone have a better idea? Improvements on the V shape?

Killdee

Do a little more research before you do this, apparently if the antlers arent ready to go and get caught and tore off it can break off part of his skull/pedicle?sp, and can cause disease death or a messed rack the following year.

mdgreco191

Do a little more research before you do this, apparently if the antlers arent ready to go and get caught and tore off it can break off part of his skull/pedicle?sp, and can cause disease death or a messed rack the following year.

That is the last thing I want. Do you think some pieces of rebar without wire would cause a broken antler?

Killdee

I dnt know, we poured corn in between tree limbs before I found out how risky it can be so I stopped trying. A dog can be trained to find sheds and would be the safest way to go.

GA DAWG

You could prolly build a fence they have to jump to eat corn. Then when they hit the ground. The horns could fall off. I find several on fence lines.

mdgreco191

I wouldn't think a deer would get its antlers caught In something similar to a no rmal fence. they walk around fences all the time and don't get caught. rebar hammered into the ground with a couple of bungee cords tied across should be fairly easy for a buck to maneuver his way out of. again I don't want to hurt a deer, but I don't see how something described above could hurt. Any thoughts/improvisations are welcome.

BOWHUNTER!

The risks don't out weigh the benefits. The concept is fascinating though but you can learn a lot about your place by walking around looking for them.

GTHunter007

Listen to Killdee...you can do more damage forcing antlers to come off before they are loose. Most abnormal antlers are from some sort of pedicle or skull injury, the number would definitely go up around your area if you built a successful trap to catch them around your feeder.

Calcium

Pour a some corn on the ground and set a picnic table over the pile. The deer will bump their antlers on the table as they are eating the corn and it is safe where they won't get caught up in it.

champ

pvc pipe and fittings. build a barrel type cage wide enough they can reach in and eat but slim enough that it'll knock their horns off. Bury the bottom ring a few inches into the dirt so it'll stay put.