Can you hunt deer with an air rifle?

Hunter/Mason

My brother and I had a Sheridan air rifle back in the 70's that was .20 cal and was deadly accurate.
8 pumps was max on it. The 5th through 8th pumps were tough.

Took Coons, opossum, crows etc. No other game.

I've still got mine. Mine was a silver streak had a 10 pump max. I did find a guy you can ship it to and have it rebuilt. My seals dry rotted. Gonna fix it for my boys to use.

satchmo

From the way the regulataions are written, I would guess that they are legal in NC and SC, too-no restrictions on type of firearm you can use for deer hunting.

No, not yet, but it does have to be a fire arm and South Carolina has a min center fire calebers something air guns don't have. The only legal free range deer hunting with air rifles are Missouri(first) and Alabama. It's a growing hobby, and would be my only interest in shooting a deer with a gun. I have a great property in Missouri I can surly get at least one deer with an air gun, and I am seriously thinking about it next season. Most states won't even allow air rifles for small game, much less deer. I imagine it will grow in popularity. In the 17-1800s they were used to hunt , shoot people, etc. today people think 177 cal or bbs. These guns have been around for a long ,long time.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
No, not yet, but it does have to be a fire arm and South Carolina has a min center fire calebers something air guns don't have. The only legal free range deer hunting with air rifles are Missouri(first) and Alabama. It's a growing hobby, and would be my only interest in shooting a deer with a gun. I have a great property in Missouri I can surly get at least one deer with an air gun, and I am seriously thinking about it next season. Most states won't even allow air rifles for small game, much less deer. I imagine it will grow in popularity. In the 17-1800s they were used to hunt , shoot people, etc. today people think 177 cal or bbs. These guns have been around for a long ,long time.

You can legally deer hunt with a .22 LR in both NC and SC. No minimum caliber restrictions.

Scrapy

Banned
You can legally deer hunt with a .22 LR in both NC and SC. No minimum caliber restrictions.
I think you are right.,or I been wrong a long time. I have got several deer between the eyes squirrel hunting over the years. In fact, I thought the size about centerfires applied to coon hunting so you couldn't be (prima facia?) suspected of night hunting.

T-N-T

That guy said he put his cross hairs behind the shoulder. Then he shoots the ram in the front of the shoulder on a quartering towards shot. facepalm:

Jack Flynn

Quackenbush airguns. I've had a couple. About 2 full power shots per full air cylinder. Depends on the caliber actually. Not speed demons but you don't need speed to kill an animal. Dennis is a great guy and always has a very large waiting list.
http://www.quackenbushairguns.com/

Scrapy

Banned
Air rifles are still not legal unless otherwise stated . Both states have black powder, firearms and archery. No air guns.

Unless otherwise stated. Does that mean you can't kill a deer with a knife to the throat unless it's stated?

Fishin & Hunting

My brother and I had a Sheridan air rifle back in the 70's that was .20 cal and was deadly accurate.

Still have mine too, those things have the power of rimfire 22

GT-40 GUY

Gone But Not Forgotten
Here is some interesting info for the Northeast.

gt40

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-12-17 at 10.57.44 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-12-17 at 10.57.44 PM.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 421

JBowers

not a legal weapon for deer in GA

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Unless otherwise stated. Does that mean you can't kill a deer with a knife to the throat unless it's stated?

Scrappy, In GA it is illegal to kill a deer using a knife to the throat, a tire iron to the head or any other weapon that is not listed as being legal to hunt with. But just like trespass, it happens all the time. In either case sometimes the purpose is innocent and some times it is not, but it is always against the law.

Scrapy

Banned
Scrappy, In GA it is illegal to kill a deer using a knife to the throat, a tire iron to the head or any other weapon that is not listed as being legal to hunt with. But just like trespass, it happens all the time. In either case sometimes the purpose is innocent and some times it is not, but it is always against the law.

So you allow your State to dictate what caliber of gun you shoot and how many grams of powder. Will they dictate the exclusive Brand name of said firearms next year. Unless otherwise stated of course.

satchmo

Is a knife listed?

I know you are being sarcastic, but knife hunting is not a method of deer hunting, so it is not stated in the rules and regs. You must be thinking about hunting with dogs and hogs with knives. This thread is about air guns and them being legal, you are very far off topic.

Scrapy

Banned
OK. you are the moderater. Nobody finishes off a deer with an otherwise unstated knife that WAS shot with an otherwise stated firearm which is not an air rifle in GA. I got it. I'm going back to the Billy threads. Don't really know how I wandered onto a topic I have no interest in.

shane256

I had one of those, too... it was a great pellet gun. I liked using the cylindrical pellets rather than the hour-glass shaped ones. Shot that thing so much that eventually the rear site fell off somewhere and I lost it. I could still hit 16oz coke bottles at 80 yards with it.

Tenpin

It's great that you all still have them. I may have to check my parents house, but ours burnt down in 83 so I don't think it survived.

When I said 8 pumps max - that meant "max that our little arms could muster" LOL

satchmo

Air rifle ammo

The idea for a lot of people getting into air gun hunting is the idea of our 20,25, 177 and 22 cal pellets. This is a good idea of what the ammo is like for big bore ammo. It takes some serious convincing to allow a whole state to allow air rifle hunting. But I imagine it will be as common as crossbows are for archery hunting. I think the first year you could use compounds in Ga was 1979 or 80. Now look at us. Some states allow spear hunting deer, air rifles, poision arrows I guess they still allow that in Mississippi but I don't care. Air rifles have been around for a very long time ,and in our day and age when you say air rifle not many people think past a BB gun.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 384