Southern zone hunters, how has baiting affected your hunting?

Rich M

Corn is not a cure-all.

We bait and use the corn to slow the deer as they cross roads and mowed areas. The deer do feed on it but not like you see on TV - they come out nibble here and there and then leave - browse thru if you will.

An area with corn gives from 10 seconds to 5 minutes to shoot a deer. An area without gives 1 to 5 seconds.

We don't use feeders, just spread it 3 days before we're gonna hunt that stand.

Gaswamp

My partner and I are the only ones that don't bait on our club. We are also the only ones that hunt. Everybody else spends their time checking feeders and cameras

660griz

We bait and use the corn to slow the deer as they cross roads and mowed areas.
An area with corn gives from 10 seconds to 5 minutes to shoot a deer. An area without gives 1 to 5 seconds.

We don't use feeders, just spread it 3 days before we're gonna hunt that stand.

Exactly what I do. I hunt from same location I did before corn was legal. It just slows em down a little. See the same amount of deer. I do see more of other critters.

Beagler282

“Rabbit Man”
It keeps the does in the area.The bucks just cruise close by checking the scent and move on.It has really improved the buck sightings during the rut.Other than that the corn really works best in the late summer months when doing a camera survey and the bucks and does are feeding on it regularly.

mikel m14

The three deer I have killed this season were all eating corn. The vast majority of the deer kills by other club members were also over corn includes a 10pt and an 8pt. None of us use feeders. The only downside is looking thru all the trail cam pics. I did have a few pics this week of a 7pt and 8pt fighting at the corn.

rosewood

Unfortunately for us, the corn on the ground keeps the hogs coming in and we have resorted to feeders the hogs cant get too.

Silver Britches

Official Sports Forum Birthday Thread Starter
It's a sad sight seeing so many empty corn bags strewn along the roads that I frequent. If you use corn, make sure those empty corn bags find their way into the trash can! Good grief! Get it together, guys! :mad:

oops1

Buzzard Expert
I've read non of the responses but can tell you..back when it was illegal..it worked. Now they just hit it at night.. It's overrated . Happy hunting

Curtis-UGA

It's a sad sight seeing so many empty corn bags strewn along the roads that I frequent. If you use corn, make sure those empty corn bags find their way into the trash can! Good grief! Get it together, guys! :mad:

We buy it by the barrel. It's the green thing to do!:yeah:

spearjunky

I shoot less deer now cause I know I'm gonna see deer,they are cool to watch some times. Also do the barrel thing

H

Hammer Spank

I really really really wish they would overturn the legalization.

Sadly, I think theyre going to legalize it up here in the north too.

SouthPaw Draw

GONetwork, GWF and NTWF Member
The key IMO is to have timer feeders that go off and help deter the night time patterns, I have mine go off at 8AM and 4PM. I do see alot more does at the feeders than bucks though.
Killed my 8 pointer this year when he was following a doe to a feeder.
I have to admit though I wish it would have never been legalized. Can be expensive too running 4 feeders from August to January. It is a nice tool to have before the season starts to get an idea of the deer on the property.

Attachments

• PICT0312.jpg
    PICT0312.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 306
  • PICT0149.jpg
    PICT0149.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 305

Gaswamp

The feeders go off the deer come in. Seriously I hunt plots with feeders or roads with corn hand spread in them and see lots of deer eating corn. This buck was crossing a narrow food plot/road that I had spread corn on and stopped to eat some when I shot him. I like it.

just curious, would you want to bait turkeys if you could?

fairplayboy

Been legal now for two years here in zone 2 South Carolina. I have taken probably three deer that were feeding on corn piles; one buck ignored corn pile and went right to trophy radishes, one buck feeding on corn pile, two does on corn pile, one feeding on native browse. Draws them in yes, might not always close the deal. I have had several deer walk around corn piles and prefer to eat radishes, rye or clover in food plot or native browse such as honeysuckle or brambles. Go figure

Gajbird

Against baiting

If you are against baiting you should NEVER plant a foodplot, pour out corn, rattle, grunt or use scent. They are all done with the same intent. To bring deer into range.

Cole Henry

People can think what they want, but on my 1,000 acre bow only property corn works. Plenty of day light photos on our feeders of MATURE bucks. I killed an eleven point opening day over corn and 2 other bucks have also been taken this season over corn. With many other shot opportunities on others. We notice these bucks love to cruise by and check the feeders for doe's during the rut. I do think it works better just scattered on the ground rather than over a hanging feeder and see more this way but both work. May not work for everyone but it works for us.

SouthPaw Draw

GONetwork, GWF and NTWF Member
If you are against baiting you should NEVER plant a foodplot, pour out corn, rattle, grunt or use scent. They are all done with the same intent. To bring deer into range.

Right on Brother!!!