Private trophy bass lakes?

Tmpr111

shooting fish in a barrel.

So if one only has access to small waters, are you saying they can never claim "trophy" simply because they may not be as fortunate as someone who can afford a boat or opportunities elsewhere? I personally think the "fish in a barrel" thoughts are overrated. I know "barrels" that are often harder to catch fish from than other public waters.

KyDawg

Gone But Not Forgotten
I fished a private pond in South Georgia for years, it was about 10 acres and covered with submerged timber. There were lots of days when we never got a bite and I also lost several nice fish that got hung up in all the junk. Call it a barrel if you like, but it could be a challenge getting a nice bass out of there.

I fished a private pond in South Georgia for years, it was about 10 acres and covered with submerged timber. There were lots of days when we never got a bite and I also lost several nice fish that got hung up in all the junk. Call it a barrel if you like, but it could be a challenge getting a nice bass out of there.

this

shooting fish in a barrel.

just because they are there doesn't mean they will bite or that you can catch them. that's my point. Especially if they have plenty of easy meals. During the spawn it could be easy but afterwards your best bet would be a large, fresh live bait and some patience.

I think ocm pda was the ultimate compromise because you knew lots of big fish
Lived in the lake but I've never known anyone to say fishing there was easy.
Seen a not of bassboats with the latest and greatest go home empty handed. When you stock them at 10 an acre instead of 100 that will do that

Graphite

Big Metz is considered a trophy pond/lake here on Ft. Stewart with a few Georgia record holders. It is closed year round and is only open quarterly for a few weekends then is closed again because it is extremely close to a training area on base but anyways.... I went out there the last day it was open for the quarter and I caught one bass the entire time I was out there, it was barely over 1lb. Yet my personal best was from a no name body of water that had low fishing pressure and he was over 8lbs within the first 30 minutes of being out there I had two bites from two different bass that were hogs... and caught a bunch of dinks..

Just because it's considered a trophy fishing area doesn't mean you're going to be getting bites every 5 minutes and it surely doesn't mean you're going to be ripping some lips on hogs.

Fishing is slim around here for me, everywhere I have access to is has heavy fishing pressure and all of the bass are stunted but I'll take a dink over getting skunked any day. Not to mention people in my area are very secretive of their fishing spots.

Cbrad

I get what you are saying. Some of the best fishing around here is in company ponds that are on lock down 24/7. One is an old chemical plant that closed in the early 90's. Friend of mine caught 3 ten pound fish and a few 5 pounders in a couple of hours. It is illegal, but I sure would like to catch some big ones.
I mean i would rather catch a 6lb fish in a big lake than a couple 10lb fish in a pond......but how often do you get to go toe to toe with a 10lb bass?
Hope you find a nice trophy pond man.
I'd say start knocking on doors.

Where is his place at?

EverGreen1231

Anyone know good private lakes around the state (or neighboring) for bass? Looking for an ego boosting trip...somewhere that doesn't require bass PhDs :)

My Grandad used to tell me stories of beaver ponds around Line Creek that held more 5 -10 pound bass than you would know what to do with. I don't know that they exist anymore; it might be worth an investigatory trip. If your fortunate enough to live somewhere that has a history of beaver activity you could likely find a small pond with a couple nice, "stupid" fish in 'em. The only thing is, they might take a little effort to find.
Small, private waters will get you the results you want. The best way to access them is, simply, stop and ask. The worst they'll do is shoot at you.

cpculp

There are some great fishing lakes in subdivisions all around north Georgia. I consistently catch big fish from the 20 acre one in my community. Meeting someone who lives in a community to give you permission is the key. Most of these lakes see little pressure.