Anyone been to Lake Varner lately????

GunslingerG20

I'm hoping to get out and fish a bit this weekend for the first time since having extensive surgery on my right shoulder a while back. I want to hit Varner, but was wondering what conditions are like right now. Is the water level particularly low? How is the hydrilla? I know some years it get so thick that you can barely get a boat in or out and much of the north end of the lake becomes unnavigable. Just wanted to see if anyone has been out there recently who could tell me if it's worth trying, or should I go elsewhere.

Thanks!!!

GunslingerG20

No Hydrilla in Varner??!!??!!??!?????? :eek:

Did they put in some sort of herbicide or something? I can't see grass carp alone doing that to that volume of hydrilla, but anything's possible I guess. That could very well be a bad thing in ways --- I've caught most of my better fish there fishing the edges of the hydrilla like hard cover. No hydrilla = they are probably not on their typical late-summer pattern then. That'll shake things up for sure!

Any problems with launching boats due to the water level being down?

THANKS for the info guys! It is GREATLY appreciated!!!! :)

GunslingerG20

Well that was different. Launching is no problem at all, and there was absolutely NO sign of hydrilla anywhere. But apparently Varner has become an alien landing area!:hair: What in the world are those funky-looking things with the solar panels and rubber bumpers on them???? I saw about a half-dozen of them on the main part of the lake. Thought they were floating free at first, but they never moved all day, so they are apparently anchored in their positions. I have no idea what they are for! :huh:

GunslingerG20

Thanks for the link Joel!

I can't say I've ever heard of these, but it certainly makes sense on paper -- and apparently in reality, because I told a buddy of mine I've never seen Varner looking anywhere near this good at this time of year!