unreal day on lake Juliette

jmikk

So let me start by saying that Juliette is a tough tough lake to fish. 95% of the time I skunk it out on this lake. As a result of that I have resorted to fishing on Oconee because I can always catch bait and if I can't get on any striper or hybrid I can always find a catfish or two. And once a month I make the trip up to Lanier to fish with Striper Hunter.

With that said I only had a half day to fish so I decided to take a little trip to Juliette to see if I could catch me some Large Mouth. So the bait tank and striper rods stayed at home and I tied up a fluke, a spook Jr., and a shakey head.

I get out on the lake at 0700 and make my way to a grass bed that I've had luck with in the past. this bed sits in 15 feet of water. I got the shakey head out and I'm just messing around when I see a fish surface about 600 yards to the right of me. And then another one surfaced, and another, aaaaand another. So I start up the boat and make my way over there. Just as I arrive the surface EXPLODES. It's a school of small striper beating the snot out of some baitfish.

I toss out the fluke in a mad rush and big surprise, backlash. I quickly fix it and make another cast. Backlash again! ugh. Someone forgot to recal his reel for the lighter lure. I pick up the rod with the spook on it (which I know is calibrated) and cast that badboy out. Boom first hook up. the little bugger gets of the hook as I'm bringing him in the boat. Another cast and another fish hooks up. this one I manage to get in the boat.
It goes on like this for 15 minutes and I pull 5 tiny striper in the boat. biggest one was maaaaaaybe 2 pounds.

3u4wcmf.jpg

well all the excitement ends and honestly the LAST thing I expected on a warm summer morning was to find striper busting the surface in 15 feet of water. So i make my way to the timber and go back to the shakey head. And again I'm seeing schools of striper busting the surface (although not in big numbers like the last time).

I finally manage to have one bust up near me and again I hook him up on the spook and get him in the boat (another 2 pounder).

at this point its getting late and I decide to head back to the ramp. I'm full throttle and on plane when 50 yards infront of me the surface of the lake explodes... again.
I stop the boat and throw out the spook and land a 4ish pound striper.

jXJtB3I.jpg

what a crazy day on Juliette....

jhall1976

We were there Sunday morning.... Same thing but being in kayaks means you ain't gonna just fire up and head over! They were chasing the bait at just about every point and killing em! The fog was super thick that morning too and you could hear them busting everywhere!

CaptBee

Water Levels @ Juliette??

Are both launch ramps good for getting boat in the water?? Do you find Perch in those grassbeds?

fotoguy

Great report, I had the same thing happen to me a couple weeks ago. Breaking fish that is... But we caught some nice size ones that day as well. Thanks for sharing!!!:clap: