Pine Tree ID

DSGB

I believe this is a Spruce Pine (Pinus glabra), but wanted to make sure that is the correct ID.
There are several of them in low-lying areas on our property.

Attachments

• P1050809.jpg
    P1050809.jpg
    266.4 KB · Views: 1,624
  • P1050810.jpg
    P1050810.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 1,272
  • P1050811.jpg
    P1050811.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 1,729
  • P1050812.jpg
    P1050812.jpg
    191 KB · Views: 1,056
  • P1050813.jpg
    P1050813.jpg
    318.1 KB · Views: 1,482

westcobbdog

Looks like a pinus Virginiana(sp) a Virginia pine. A lot of the pines are tough to identify, many look very similar to me.

oldfella1962

Good luck! There are a gazillion pine species in Georgia. When I lived in northern Wisconsin it was easy - white, Norway or jack pines and all three look nothing like each other. Arizona it was ponderosa pine and that was all.

I have a book (plenty of of pictures) about Georgia trees. Many of the pines are almost identical. :confused:

SGADawg

Google "Native Trees of Georgia". Good descriptions of native trees and line drawings. Some identifying features to distinguish pines include; number of needles in each bundle, length of needles, size and shape of cones, pattern and color of bark.

DSGB

liv2bowhunt

needles are too long to be virginia pine. where is this located? looks like spruce pine to me.

Last edited:

DSGB

needles are too long to be virginia pine. where is this located? looks like spruce pine to me.

Russell County, AL

There are at least a dozen that I have found - all near creek/drainage.

Quercus Alba

Crush up the needles. They will smell like citrus if spruce pine.

futbolwest

White pine has 5 needles per cluster, Virginia has two needles per cluster so I think these are Virginia. Also Vrgina pines tha tare producing cones have a purple lip inside the cone

Vernon Holt

Gone But Not Forgotten
Pine Tree ID?

These are indeed Spruce Pines. GA boasts ten different species of pines. Most of them of little economic importance. Here they are listed according to their economic importance:

Loblolly Pine; Slash Pine; Shortleaf Pine; Longleaf Pine, White Pine, Virginia Pine; Pond Pine; Spruce Pine; Table Mountain Pine, and Sonderegger Pine.

Sonderegger Pine is classified as a hybrid cross between Longleaf and Loblolly Pine.

Sand Pine has been planted somewhat extensively on deep sands but does not occur naturally in GA.