Can't get him out of my head - the one that got away

PappyHoel

I can't get this one bird out of my head. He was within 20 yards of me strutting 10 mins and there was nothing I could do. I know where he lives and I can't touch him till opening morning 2018. I've nicknamed him lucky and it's going to be a long year :)

I can't be the only one...

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Bobcat will probably get him, or a great horned owl will kill him on the roost.

PappyHoel

XIronheadX

PF Trump Cam Operator !20/20
Opening day at high noon. Ole bushy was standing right in front of me at 30 yards. Problem was I wasn't the shooter. He was sitting 10 yards to my right. No shot. Didn't see him again.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
You are not alone , I seem to have one every season !

critterslayer

I've got two big ones that own the mountain! I got one, the rest of haunted me and I have multiple trail cam videos of him. I'll see him next year.

jlt4800

Nope your not the only one!!
Funny thing is the other evening my wife asked me what I was thinking about as she was on her social media and I was staring off into space...I asked do you really want to know and she replied Yes.... So I told her and she wasn't happy!!
I don't understand her disappointment....All I said was I was upset with myself for not killing that tom on the side of the mountain when I had the chance.
Come on next season already!

PappyHoel

If you had him strutting at 20yds why did you not pop a cap on him.

He was off to my right and any movement would have spooked him. I knew he was coming and I knew from where. I was just stupid and didn't get ready.

deerpoacher1970

He was off to my right and any movement would have spooked him. I knew he was coming and I knew from where. I was just stupid and didn't get ready.
No you ain't stupid that's just turkey hunting good luck on him next year at least you got something to think about till next year.

hawglips

Banned
I can't get this one bird out of my head. He was within 20 yards of me strutting 10 mins and there was nothing I could do. I know where he lives and I can't touch him till opening morning 2018. I've nicknamed him lucky and it's going to be a long year :)

I can't be the only one...

I left 6 or 7 gobbling birds after I filled my last OOS tag last week. I left 3 gobbling birds when I filled my last tag in NC in April.

Gonna be thinking about them all year...

DRBugman85

Been there,see it and got the T shirt :cry: ...Thats turkey hunting,I left a few gobblers for next year myself,had one 30 yards to my right that I set up to my left he slipped around a thicket and next thing to my right SPIT DRUMMING and I watched him walk back in the thicket. It happens to the best turkey hunter.

Slings and Arrows

Please see my tag line below. If we got every bird we wanted, this would be a boring sport. To be haunted in this way, is the exact fuel that keeps the fire burning. It's a blessing not all understand. Enjoy your dream filled off season.

nick_o_demus

It sounds like you're definitely NOT alone. We know where a biggen' was this year. Worked him one day just for him to circle around us. Maybe got as close as 50 yards but wouldn't come in any further. I've got some good trail cam photos of him. I've got four cameras out now. Going to run them a few months and see what happens. Then re-deploy them closer to spring.

redowl

If you are a turkey hunter you’ll never forget hunt kill or a missed i been hunting over Thirty years I can still all my hunts just about

hawglips

Banned
I hunted a big dominant tom in TX one year and couldn't close the deal. I thought about him all year, and came back and was able to kill him the first day I hunted there the next year. He was the heaviest, longest spurred bird I ever killed. How can I be sure it was him? Well, I can't be. But I like to think he was... I named him the Slough Monster in honor of a cricket baiting former GONer.....

PappyHoel

May not get to hunt him this year. Our club has been sold to a private owner :(