What is this / why is it already dropping fruit?

This looks like crab apples to me; however, I'm no expert. It is already dropping a ton of fruit. My questions are is this crab apples? If not, what is it? Why is it already dropping? There are literally hundreds and hundreds on the ground and the deer aren't touching them. This is on the edge of the my clover plot in which the deer are frequenting, but they just aren't interested in whatever this is so it leads me to believe they are dropping prematurely due to either all the rain we have been getting or some kind of disease. This is located in extreme southwest Georgia. Hopefully the pics will show up good enough for y'all to tell.

Attachments

• IMG_8768.jpg
    IMG_8768.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 1,004
  • IMG_8769.jpg
    IMG_8769.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 996
  • IMG_8773.jpg
    IMG_8773.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 999
  • IMG_8774.jpg
    IMG_8774.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 1,001
  • IMG_8771.jpg
    IMG_8771.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 997
  • IMG_8770.jpg
    IMG_8770.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 994
  • IMG_8772.jpg
    IMG_8772.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 998

GAGE

GONetwork Member
They are persimmons that have not ripened yet, but I am not sure why they are dropping prematurely.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
They are persimmons that have not ripened yet, but I am not sure why they are dropping prematurely.

If the tree gets stressed for any reason it will drop a lot of its fruit to make sure it "makes" some to maturity. My persimmons are dropping a lot of the inmature fruit also.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Persimmons tend to do that-I guess it's a natural thinning of the fruit to what the tree will support under the conditions. Wait until they get ripe and start dropping, and the deer will absolutely tear them up.

ucfireman

I have 2 that were loaded last year and very sparse this year. Do yall think the late freeze caused bad pollination or should I fertilize in the spring?

Clifton Hicks

I have 2 that were loaded last year and very sparse this year. Do yall think the late freeze caused bad pollination or should I fertilize in the spring?

I don't know if it has much to do with the late freeze we had this spring or not. At least here on the TN line, persimmons didn't flower until after all that happened. I also have a few wild persimmons which were loaded up last year but haven't set any fruit this year.

Instead of fertilizing trees I just keep them heavily mulched with wood chips or straw and, every late spring, I'll shake clover seed or beans/peas into the straw under each tree and let that clover and beans grow all summer under the tree. It gives the trees lots of nitrogen AND you get to pick the beans.

Big7

The Oracle

That's what they are.
Deer love them.. So do possums, coons, yotes, etc..

Looks like you got water. :cool:

They will run until early December.

Grab them when they get red. Make some jelly.

Feed the deer something else. ;)