Tag suspended

I traded in 2014 car for 2017 car and signed over title of 2014 car. The 2017 car tag from dealership stated 8-1-17
I went to tag office on 7-27-17 to get new tag for 2017 car.
On 8-1-17 i receive letter from department of revenue for a fine on no insurance on 2014 car which i no longer own. Tag office said i had to let them know that i no longer owned 2014 car within 10 days of no insurance or you will be fined. Anyone ever dealt with this before. I think it is CensoredCensoredCensoredCensoredCensoredCensored

Jim Baker

Staff member
I traded in 2014 car for 2017 car and signed over title of 2014 car. The 2017 car tag from dealership stated 8-1-17
I went to tag office on 7-27-17 to get new tag for 2017 car.
On 8-1-17 i receive letter from department of revenue for a fine on no insurance on 2014 car which i no longer own. Tag office said i had to let them know that i no longer owned 2014 car within 10 days of no insurance or you will be fined. Anyone ever dealt with this before. I think it is CensoredCensoredCensoredCensoredCensoredCensored

You need to call your insurance carrier as well. Let them know to cancel you policy on that car. One you will received a rebate for the time left on the policy. Two, if you just let the policy lapse the insurance carrier will notify State that you do not have insurance and guess what.

GoldDot40

If/when you go to court, take proof of insurance of the car you no longer own. Basically you'll need to show the car was indeed insured the entire time you had possession of it. Should be an easily dismissed case...as long as you have documented proof it was insured.

In the future, any time you sell/trade a vehicle, you HAVE to cancel the registration with the tag office BEFORE you cancel the insurance.

It is not a court thing. You have to pay the tag office.
What i was told when you sell or trade in vehicle and you cancel the insurance on that vehicle you must notify the tag office within 10 days to cancel tag on that vehicle because the insurance company will say you no longer have that vehicle insured and the tag office will suspend the tag for that vehicle. Where i have a problem with this is i signed over the title of vehicle to the dealership so i no longer owned the vehicle. The problem is the dealership has not done anything with title and the vehicle is still in my name without being insured. Do you think they would mind if i just went and drove vehicle home since it is in my name still.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
Did you transfer the tag to the new vehicle?

Did you transfer the tag to the new vehicle?

I was going to do just that and that is why i waited because i have to renew all my tags in august and was going to transfer tag from 2014 to 2017 vehicle and the dealership tag on 2017 was good until 8-1-17.
The whole problem is when i cancelled insurance on 2014 vehicle and even though i told insurance company that i traded in 2014 vehicle they still have to report it as having no insurance so the tag office suspends the tag for 2014 vehicle because the 2014 vehicle is still in my name. If dealership had transferred the title to their name then the vehicle would have a new tag number associated with it and not mine.

GoldDot40

Might want to check the status of your license. The county has been known to report lapse of insurance to the state, and the state will suspend your license. For all they know, you're still riding in the car without insurance. As I said YOU have to cancel the registration...or make sure it's done. Don't rely on the dealer to do anything. It'll bite you...as you found out.

ClemsonRangers

i think you can beat the no insurance part, show them the date you sold it and the date that you cancelled your insurance

they could fine you for not surrendering your tag on time though

mark-7mag

Useless Billy Director of transpotation
You need to contact the dealer and get them to help you with it. If it is a local dealer they probably have a relationship with the tag office. If they are no help go talk to the County Tax Commissioner and explain. The tax commissioner is an elected official and wants your vote . I think would be willing to help you out.

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
Might want to check the status of your license. The county has been known to report lapse of insurance to the state, and the state will suspend your license. For all they know, you're still riding in the car without insurance. As I said YOU have to cancel the registration...or make sure it's done. Don't rely on the dealer to do anything. It'll bite you...as you found out.

They just suspend the registration now. I've got a truck that I've got "stored". Not driving it. I had to notify tag office so they wouldn't fine me.

PappyHoel

This never happened to me when I sold my old car?