Summer plot seed in fall plot

Possum

Banned
I have a plot full of mature Egyptian wheat. I mowed it down on Aug 3rd which left the seed all over the ground. I am planning on spraying glyphosate on Aug 15th and plowing it around Aug 30th.
Will the seed germinate and will I have new Egyptian wheat coming up all over the place in my winter wheat/clover plot?
If so should I wait and spray the glyphosate on the 30th? Thanks

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
Don't do anything till you've had a few good rains on it and let it germinate if it wants to ...... on top of the ground. You'll have a better chance of getting rid of it at that point and not having it mess up your future crops.

If you spray and it hasn't germinated, you've done no good.

If you work the ground up and it hasn't germinated, all you've done is bury the seeds, in which case they will germinate, when the time is right for them.

Discing, cultivating and plowing can do the same as spraying, in most cases, if done right. The exception is for grasses like bermuda, where you've just probably spread more of it around. I'm just suggesting that, if you get a big germination of Egyptian wheat, something like discing it might do the same as spraying and you've saved a step.

I'm not sure if army worms eat Egyptian wheat, but they might take care of it for you! :bounce:

Possum

Banned
Thank you sir! Always can count on you for great food plot advice!

deers2ward

Discing, cultivating and plowing can do the same as spraying, in most cases, if done right. The exception is for grasses like bermuda, where you've just probably spread more of it around. I'm just suggesting that, if you get a big germination of Egyptian wheat, something like discing it might do the same as spraying and you've saved a step.

Agree with this ^

Im going to bush hog down to the ground this weekend, then come back with the disc and rip and cover. Helps when it is wet.....hoping we get some steady rain this week