Small Cats for live bait?

Teh Wicked

Right out of the GA fishing regulations handbook...

Trout Fishing Rules
•Trout anglers are restricted to the use of one pole and line which must be hand held. No other type of gear may be used in trout streams.
•It is unlawful to use live fish for bait in trout streams. Seining bait-fish is not allowed in any trout stream.

61BelAir

I'm no trout fisherman and doubt the rule would ever come into play for me, but from the rules you posted it looks like it says it's unlawful to use (any) live fish for bait in a trout stream....not anything about using trout (caught legally) for bait in places other than a trout stream. Maybe I'm reading it wrong.

ryanh487

I'm no trout fisherman and doubt the rule would ever come into play for me, but from the rules you posted it looks like it says it's unlawful to use (any) live fish for bait in a trout stream....not anything about using trout (caught legally) for bait in places other than a trout stream. Maybe I'm reading it wrong.

The Dugout in Marietta sells live rainbow trout for bait. It's perfectly legal. As you said, you just can't use live fish for bait in trout streams, nothing about using live trout for bait outside of those streams.

j_seph

Happy hooker bait store in Winder sale em for bait for a reason, simple answer is yes they will work.

61BelAir

Everyone claims that trout stockings are the reasons California's been growing such big bass lately. Wonder if they're a better source for packing the pounds on the bass or if it's just the shear numbers they are stocked in?

Sorry for cluttering up your thread Mr. Horrace. Looking forward to some good posts with big cats caught with little kittens.

Shawn Holcombe

Horace, when using those small channel cats I always clip the fins. They are super sharp makes them easier to handle and I've had more success when doing this.:flag:

little rascal

Small channel Cats

are wayyyy better eating than anything big enough to eat them! If you have a creek full of small channels which Sinclair is full of them, then you are a blessed man!
:bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce:

across the river

Only time it is illegal is with Trout, you cannot catch trout and use them for bait.

You can't fish with minnows in a trout stream. That doesn't mean you can't fish with trout you catch in a trout stream. If you catch a trout and you can keep it alive long enough to get it Lanier t catch stripers, there is nothing preventing you from doing that.

lagrangedave

Gone But Not Forgotten
We had a pond that we would sneak into when I was very young that you could catch a 5" catfish on most every cast with a little piece of nightcrawler on the hook. That was best tasting fish I ever ate in my life. Remember that pond Lindsey' Grandpa?

Shawn Holcombe

are wayyyy better eating than anything big enough to eat them! If you have a creek full of small channels which Sinclair is full of them, then you are a blessed man!
:bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce:
yes they are! As my late brother and grandmother would say " it's bigger than a butter bean son!" Sure miss fishing with my brother.

olcaptain

Everyone claims that trout stockings are the reasons California's been growing such big bass lately. Wonder if they're a better source for packing the pounds on the bass or if it's just the shear numbers they are stocked in?

Sorry for cluttering up your thread Mr. Horrace. Looking forward to some good posts with big cats caught with little kittens.

No sweat here. I'm off today :) I just read and learn :)

warronl

Only time it is illegal is with Trout, you cannot catch trout and use them for bait.

This. If you have trout in a bait tank, you better have a receipt for 'em. Every time I've been "interviewed" by the Ga DNR, and had trout in the boat I had to produce a receipt.

ryanh487

This. If you have trout in a bait tank, you better have a receipt for 'em. Every time I've been "interviewed" by the Ga DNR, and had trout in the boat I had to produce a receipt.

Was it during trout season, were they in excess of the daily limit, and did you have your trout stamp?

Teh Wicked

Was it during trout season, were they in excess of the daily limit, and did you have your trout stamp?

Trout season is year round here...You can buy trout at the Bait store to use for Striper fishing, but everytime I have talked to DNR they always ask if I have trout I purchased for bait. Maybe someone else can give a better interpretation to those laws, because if I can go catch trout and take them on Lanier for bait, I will do that instead of spending $3 each