Scouting for Gators/ Etiquette while hunting

FREEDOM22

It happens every year as it has since GA had a season, All of the hunters that are new to alligator hunting go out this week and weekend and light up the night with spotlights and loud surface drive motors, airboats, and outboards.

While everyone needs to educate themselves on where the safe waters are (daylight) and find where gators are(everywhere) all you succeed in doing is hurting yourself come opening night.

So be patient, opening night will come and the gators you saw the week before will have been pushed further back into the swamps. And this brings me to another topic:

Etiquette while gator hunting: If you saw an orange vest in a tree while hunting public land you wouldn't walk up to the tree or continue in that direction, would you?

So if you are running around at night with your spotlights blazing and you see another boat working in an area ,treat it as an orange vest. Yeah it may make you mad that someone is in a place that you saw a gator, but he is already there so back off.

I'll mention a hunt from last season:

It had just broken daylight and we had been waiting for hours and hours for a large gator to resurface and he finally did about 100 yards south of us on the hooch. I saw a bass type boat with a guy standing on the front deck using his binos and he jumped into the drivers seat , started up the big outboard and from 1/4 mile away with no regard for us. (clearly we are gator hunting) speeds in our direction and drops a trolling motor and starts closing the distance,
The gator is still cruising south and I'm running on high 102lbs thrust trolling motor trying to keep up,

Needless to say the gator saw the boat closing in in front of him and down he went again. I continued passed the spot he went down, and of all things the guy says, with 2 females and another male with him was'' you see that gator I was after?''

well the exchange of pleasantries was brief and soon the outboard fired up and he was gone, 30 mins later the big boy surfaced and met my treble hook an it was over.

All anyone ask for is mutual respect, and if you act as if you were raised half right most of the guys who are on the water full-time will help you or share valuable tips. But treat folks raw and raw is returned.

Good luck on the water, be safe and be respectful.

I'm available to share info and techniques if anyone needs help,, and no I'dont own the water and we all as Americans share this great land. So treat folks like brothers and sisters of our great nation. God Bless !!

FOLES55

Well said

Dep6

Happens everywhere, I do not understand what happened to manners and all. Was on a good 10+ a couple years back and as the guy in my boat goes to make the shot with a crossbow, an airboat comes out of no where with one of those LED lightbars on the front of it, needless to say, the shot missed as they ZOOMED thru, never saw that Gator again.

jerry russell

I think the long wait for a tag makes folks act crazy. I know that some of it is just ignorance but this post should help.

I would add that leap frogging ahead of another boat by a few hundred yards is also a breach of etiquette. It's all just common sense and outdoor manners.

FREEDOM22

I forgot about the leap frogging

Yeah, thats another classic approach to sneaking in in plain sight. I had an entire family that obviously just bought the new BASS PRO center console with the 1,000
lights on it running off of a generator. I couldn't help but ask him how many gators he had seen with the boat all lit up like opening night at a UGA HOME GAME.. He said not many......lol to my self. I simply said if you go find a quite spot and turn off the portable sunburn factory and be quite you may see one.
But in all seriousness I do hope you saved you receipt from BASS PRO, you got a few days to return it.. Folks It seriously looked like the Griswalds have gone GATOR hunting

I think the long wait for a tag makes folks act crazy. I know that some of it is just ignorance but this post should help.

I would add that leap frogging ahead of another boat by a few hundred yards is also a breach of etiquette. It's all just common sense and outdoor manners.

biker13

I have been on the boat a few times with redneck.Seen some real stupid antics on Seminole.the lights,the air boats and always get down when someone is unloading a magazine at one in the water.Yep some real squirrels at night.Ya'll be careful

ryan_beasley

But it makes em madder when you hook up behind them though! :rofl:

Great post, and I hope that it connects with those that need it. That's the main reason I quit deer hunting WMA's after walking a mile from the truck.

Farm Club

etiquette

When you are scouting dont forget the fishing rods. I caught some mud fish , bass and red breast while looking for gators. Its fun and passes the time. It also slows you down and you may see more gators .

yellowhammer73

It happens every year as it has since GA had a season, All of the hunters that are new to alligator hunting go out this week and weekend and light up the night with spotlights and loud surface drive motors, airboats, and outboards.

While everyone needs to educate themselves on where the safe waters are (daylight) and find where gators are(everywhere) all you succeed in doing is hurting yourself come opening night.

So be patient, opening night will come and the gators you saw the week before will have been pushed further back into the swamps. And this brings me to another topic:

Etiquette while gator hunting: If you saw an orange vest in a tree while hunting public land you wouldn't walk up to the tree or continue in that direction, would you?

So if you are running around at night with your spotlights blazing and you see another boat working in an area ,treat it as an orange vest. Yeah it may make you mad that someone is in a place that you saw a gator, but he is already there so back off.

I'll mention a hunt from last season:

It had just broken daylight and we had been waiting for hours and hours for a large gator to resurface and he finally did about 100 yards south of us on the hooch. I saw a bass type boat with a guy standing on the front deck using his binos and he jumped into the drivers seat , started up the big outboard and from 1/4 mile away with no regard for us. (clearly we are gator hunting) speeds in our direction and drops a trolling motor and starts closing the distance,
The gator is still cruising south and I'm running on high 102lbs thrust trolling motor trying to keep up,

Needless to say the gator saw the boat closing in in front of him and down he went again. I continued passed the spot he went down, and of all things the guy says, with 2 females and another male with him was'' you see that gator I was after?''

well the exchange of pleasantries was brief and soon the outboard fired up and he was gone, 30 mins later the big boy surfaced and met my treble hook an it was over.

All anyone ask for is mutual respect, and if you act as if you were raised half right most of the guys who are on the water full-time will help you or share valuable tips. But treat folks raw and raw is returned.

Good luck on the water, be safe and be respectful.

I'm available to share info and techniques if anyone needs help,, and no I'dont own the water and we all as Americans share this great land. So treat folks like brothers and sisters of our great nation. God Bless !!

Hummmm. We got ran up on twice by a black boat with gag on the side over the weekend on Seminole. We were working good gators both times. But hey public water.

FREEDOM22

We just like you got ran over all weekend

It was opening weekend and it was a continuous problem for us and it sounds like you as well, We do our best not to do that and if it was our boat I will go ahead and apologize. If you are working a gator in the river and a boat wants to progress up or down the river then there is nothing that can be done. I suggest to try and wave off a boat with a light if you are on a big gator, but patients is key, The gator will come back up you may just have to wait for an hour,like we do all the time. If I'd have seen a wave off i 100% would have stopped.

But it happens when there are 30 people running the same river which is 100 yards wide.
Btw, we do have a black boat but mine is white. I will pass it along.

Hummmm. We got ran up on twice by a black boat with gag on the side over the weekend on Seminole. We were working good gators both times. But hey public water.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member

So y'all where in the stocking mode ? Moving in easy like for the hook. Norma once but twice.
Hope u get a big gator soon. G/L

yellowhammer73

It was opening weekend and it was a continuous problem for us and it sounds like you as well, We do our best not to do that and if it was our boat I will go ahead and apologize. If you are working a gator in the river and a boat wants to progress up or down the river then there is nothing that can be done. I suggest to try and wave off a boat with a light if you are on a big gator, but patients is key, The gator will come back up you may just have to wait for an hour,like we do all the time. If I'd have seen a wave off i 100% would have stopped.

But it happens when there are 30 people running the same river which is 100 yards wide.
Btw, we do have a black boat but mine is white. I will pass it along.

17' lowes camo bass boat.
We did wave the boat off but he kept coming. We heard someone in the boat say " you see that boat?"
The driver said yeah and kept coming. It is what it is I guess.

We ended up putting a thick 8 footer in the boat Sunday night well Monday morning.
We are 2 for 2 the past 2 years on 8 plus footers.

I can tell y'all this we WON'T hunt opening weekend on Seminole anymore. Covered up with boats. Not worth it.

We live 5 hours from the lake and are totally DIY hunters.
So we feel pretty good about tagging out the past 2 years.

And I understand about wanting to move on up the river but dang dude don't blind the gator I'm working and why not drop your trolling motor and ease by?

Again we tagged out.
We had a good time.
It's public water.
And it is what it is.

Good luck to y'all the rest of the season and be safe.

Last edited: