Running -- To get in shape

Booner Killa

Running is incredible. There is tons of research out there that says running doesn't tear up knees. I played four years of college basketball and had two knee surgeries while I was there. I'm running four days/week now and my knees have never felt better. The key is logging slow miles and improving little by little. Darryl, that's incredible man. It's addicting!!!

g0nef1sshn

Run 4 miles slow to run 2 miles fast.... 6 miles slow to run 3 fast. And always have good shoes. Slow down or stop if something hurts.

K80

For you runners near Athens that would like to support children and families fighting childhood cancer. For business owners that would like to support it we are also looking for sponsors.

http://www.active.com/athens-ga/run...dation-one-step-at-a-time-5k-and-fun-run-2017

For those not familiar with GWT www.gwtfoundation.org. Grant is the dearly missed handsome fellow in my avatar. There's a post here that will keep you busy for days if you are so inclined...

Mods if this isn't kosher let me know.

Walk for a while run for a short distance walk , run walk, run. At first you will walk more that you run, as time goes along you will run more and walk less.

oldfella1962

I'm 55 years old and 70 inches tall, weight 170 (plus or minus two pounds on any given day) and not athletic.
I was in the military for 22+ years so I have at least a basic background in overall fitness & health. I'm not a "runner" by any means but I can cover a mile in 6 minutes 30 seconds, however I'm wiped out for about an hour afterwards. :cry:

My advice is find a balance between pushing yourself, but not tearing your body down in the process. It's been mentioned already, but variety is your friend when it comes to exercise! One reason people tear up their bodies (I'll keep it running focused) is they run the same distances and terrain and speed too often - over time that leads to injury. So I do difference distances and inclines - maybe a mile one day, two or three the next time, and hill sprints the next time. If you're getting up there in years and sprint on level ground that fast acceleration might cause a hamstring injury. Sprinting uphill (the steeper the better) means you can only start out (push off) so fast no matter how hard you try. Also it works your leg muscles and cardio much harder in less total amount of time. Sprint uphill 50 or 100 yards, walk it back down to the beginning to catch your breath and repeat. A few cycles of this only takes about 15 minutes but really works you hard. You will be gassing and your thighs on fire, but your joints won't be abused. Also uphill your feet down come down so hard on the pavement. Also I'm not very coordinated - if I sprinted on level ground and fell running full speed I would really hurt myself - again on a very steep hill you're barely faster than walking speed.

I also do resistance training with kettlebells, dumbbells, and body weight exercises like pull-ups and pushups.
On some sets I wear a 25 pound ruck to keep my repetitions low to build strength. I'm not in the army anymore competing for promotion points, so my total number of pushups aren't an issue. I'd rather do a dozen pushups slow and really "feel it" with my feet up on a table wearing the rucksack rather than try for maximum number of repetitions.

And running actually helps you recover much faster in between strength training workouts! It speeds nutrients to your cells faster, flushes out toxins, and keeps joints lubricated.

Age is merely a number. I hadnt run since 1990 and in 2013 my wife signed me up for a 5K and said "do it." I did, and about 60 races in a bit over 3 years, ive done a boat load of 5k's and 10k's, 12 half marathons, 1 marathon, one ultra 50k, and 2 Spartans. Im overweight, not speedy at all, but ive placed in my age group 7 times, 1st in age group on a half marathon. I average depending on the distance, 11-14 minutes per mile. I dont go in these to win or get a medal, i go into them to finish them, and ive yet to DNF. Train, but dont over do or over think it, have fun, enjoy the pace and the people, its all about the journey not the destination. Good luck to you

Latest posts