Advice for quota dove hunt??

mizuno24jad

I got picked for the dove hunt at clybel wma, I have never been on a dove hunt before. So what should I expect showing up to this type of hunt at a wma?. I have been to clybel before but just for deer

lagrangedave

Gone But Not Forgotten
The ones at West Point are hit are miss..........they do plant millet, cut rows, and burn it. Some have been outstanding. Get there early they usually will let you on the field at 10 am and the good spots go fast.

KyDawg

Gone But Not Forgotten
Sounds like Uncle Dave is speaking from experience.

lagrangedave

Gone But Not Forgotten
I have actually had a game warden take out his pocket knife, cut a stick, and make me a plug so that I would be legal. Many, many moons ago.

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
Take a large dose of patience. Folks will sit too close, shoot at birds 6 miles away, etc. Just laugh it off and try to make the best of it. I always go in with low expectations and if you have a great hunt, then its a win win.

Nitram4891

Flop Thief
Get on the other side of the field from the dude wearing a blaze tshirt and hat. :bounce: I got picked too, hopefully its a good one but bring lots of patience like was said.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Don`t shoot at low birds.

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
Get on the other side of the field from the dude wearing a blaze tshirt and hat. :bounce: I got picked too, hopefully its a good one but bring lots of patience like was said.

Yeah, saw that last year also. Not only that, they choose to set in the dead middle of the field with zero cover to conceal them. They may have flaired a bird or 50....:shoot::shoot::shoot::shoot:

j_seph

The ones at West Point are hit are miss..........they do plant millet, cut rows, and burn it. Some have been outstanding. Get there early they usually will let you on the field at 10 am and the good spots go fast.
How ya know the good spots? Do ya look for the greatest concentration of dove droppings?

Hooked On Quack

REV`REND DR LUV
You couldn't pay me $$$ to shoot birds with a buncha idiot/strangers..

j_seph

You couldn't pay me $$$ to shoot birds with a buncha idiot/strangers..
But ya drive roads with em every day. Just cause they like to choot at doves doesn't mean ya have to be racist about it::ke:

Nitram4891

Flop Thief
haters gona hate....besides won't be all strangers out there, at least two of us fine forum members will be there.

PHImech

According to DNR and WRD Field Personnel (Water Research Development, but not sure what they do), as of 7/18, Clybel was forecast as "good" for opening day. The only WMA that got an excellent was Rum Creek, so I'd say you're probably looking at having some birds and a good time. How they can forecast it a month ahead of time is beyond me, but last year they forecast Joe Kurz as having a good opening day and they were spot on. Be safe and plz post how it went!

sasmojoe

Get there early, bring plenty of water and patience.
You could also use a couple mojo dove spinners and one of those tress to hang dove Decoys on. Just because you are hunting wma don't think the game warden won't check you.

quackertackr

My son and myself got drawn for clybel also. It was decent last year. No check in just a sign in/out board. Bring patience. I prefer to sit on a field opposite of the crowd. You can get some stragglers that way without worrying. Always wear glasses.

Nitram4891

Flop Thief
My son and myself got drawn for clybel also. It was decent last year. No check in just a sign in/out board. Bring patience. I prefer to sit on a field opposite of the crowd. You can get some stragglers that way without worrying. Always wear glasses.

Almost everything is planted this year so hopefully we will all have room to spread out.