Trouble starting diesel

tree cutter 08

Got a 98 new Holland skidsteer. Was running fine last October. Tried to crank it earlier in the spring and it only hit a time or to and that was it. Since then I've replaced fuel, both filters and glowplugs. Fuel system is has been bled and return hose is working. Glowplugs are working also. While cranking it will not smoke any out the exhaust, but will slightly when you give it a shot of either but still won't hit. What's the chance all injectors are plugged? I've about give up and ready to send it to the shop. Any ideas?

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
how are you putting the ether to it? If it won't hit on ether, then something is outta time, or no compression.

Right off, I would say that you aren't getting the ether into the combustion chamber.

tree cutter 08

Pump is working, I've sprayed into the intake with filter removed. Usually have to give it a shot in cold weather. I've wandered about the compression but it was running fine when parked. Does have around 3 k hours though.

Dr. Strangelove

How long has the fuel been in it? Checked the fuel and filters? I'm waaay out of my league here offering advice, but back in the day when I used to race sailboats, we often didn't use the diesel engine (otherwise known as the D-Sail) enough to prevent algae from growing in the tanks and clogging the whole works.

speedcop

had a dozer that had the same problem. there is a glass ball in the fuel line between the tank and pump to keep it from back draining. found the ball (bout a number 4 buckshot) removed it and ran fine from then on.

rospaw

Got a 98 new Holland skidsteer. Was running fine last October. Tried to crank it earlier in the spring and it only hit a time or to and that was it. Since then I've replaced fuel, both filters and glowplugs. Fuel system is has been bled and return hose is working. Glowplugs are working also. While cranking it will not smoke any out the exhaust, but will slightly when you give it a shot of either but still won't hit. What's the chance all injectors are plugged? I've about give up and ready to send it to the shop. Any ideas?

Does it have the push button primer? If so i would say it's the diaphragm in that primer.
It does have fuel correct? :banginghe

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
how are you putting the ether to it? If it won't hit on ether, then something is outta time, or no compression.

Right off, I would say that you aren't getting the ether into the combustion chamber.

just to repeat myself.....

if you put the ether in it, and it won't hit, it is either out of time, or no compression. period, end of story.

Get someone to turn the engine over and keep spinning that sucker. While they are turning it over, start spraying ether straight down the intake with the air filter removed. Keep spraying until it either hits, starts to knock or it becomes obvious it isn't going to crank.

Lukikus2

just to repeat myself.....

if you put the ether in it, and it won't hit, it is either out of time, or no compression. period, end of story.

Get someone to turn the engine over and keep spinning that sucker. While they are turning it over, start spraying ether straight down the intake with the air filter removed. Keep spraying until it either hits, starts to knock or it becomes obvious it isn't going to crank.

That's the way I got rid of my unibrow! :bounce:

tree cutter 08

Well pappy you are right. Low on compression. Shop is going to pulled the head and check the rings and cylinders and possibly rebuild the head, or find a new engine.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
good deal

now, quit using ether to start them. it isn't a good thing