Bad Summer For Panfish

fishingchamp

This has been my worst summer for panfish! Mrs. Toona hasn't gave up 20 bream this summer for me. January I caught 100 bream in 4 weeks. Idk whats going on but i've never seen it like this. Ive been as low as galts and as high as coopers branch! Any luck for you panfish guys?

Anvil Head

I did well on the bluegill beds back in the spring with flyrod, but haven't had any time to go the rest of this summer. Too much knife work going on.
I have two Shellcracker beds located that have produced fine healthy fish every spring for the past 5 years. I try not to over fish them as they are much harder to find on Toona than bluegills (and not where most would look for them). Nope, not telling.

Should still be able to find the bigger bluegills in the coves where the all weather creeks with timber come in and under the older boat docks. They get a lot of boat traffic pressure this time of the year so they go where the jet skis and boats can't bother them as much.

fishingchamp

I did well on the bluegill beds back in the spring with flyrod, but haven't had any time to go the rest of this summer. Too much knife work going on.
I have two Shellcracker beds located that have produced fine healthy fish every spring for the past 5 years. I try not to over fish them as they are much harder to find on Toona than bluegills (and not where most would look for them). Nope, not telling.

Should still be able to find the bigger bluegills in the coves where the all weather creeks with timber come in and under the older boat docks. They get a lot of boat traffic pressure this time of the year so they go where the jet skis and boats can't bother them as much.

You know I do understand that, but I fish toona 2-3 times a week and this has been for the last 5 years. And you know people say toona is the "dead sea" but I think otherwise i've seen the lake at its best. But this summer has been just horrible. I know a few bream holes that I pull 1lb 1/2 -2lb shellcracker off of.

Anvil Head

Fish are there, just tremendous boating pressure on Toona during the summer makes it tough on fish and fisherman. At one time the DNR reported that Toona had more boats/activity per surface acre than any other lake in GA during the summer months (may still be true).

King.Of.Anglers.Jeremiah

Fishing ? Instructor!
Tried looking under docks yet? Also, bluegills were STILL on beds 2 weeks ago when I saw them. I'm sure they're gone now, but you may be able to find some post spawn fish in a little deeper water.

fishingchamp

Fish are there, just tremendous boating pressure on Toona during the summer makes it tough on fish and fisherman. At one time the DNR reported that Toona had more boats/activity per surface acre than any other lake in GA during the summer months (may still be true).

I can believe it 100%

Jonboater

Try Fishing deep 10 to 15ft on the bottom or slip cork. The bigger bluegill hold in deeper water during the summer

Anvil Head

Try Fishing deep 10 to 15ft on the bottom or slip cork. The bigger bluegill hold in deeper water during the summer

Totally depends on water conditions in a given body of water and the particular area of the body of water - pH, O2, etc. Bream are no different than any other fish ..... won't stay long where they are uncomfortable. I have caught many quality bluegill in water less than 3' in Toona this time of year in certain places. They're just pretty skittish from all the boat pressure. You can't just run up and pound them with noise and heavy gear. They get a lot like smart trout this time of year, have to be stealthy and light.
A pleasant alternative is to fish the Etowah just below the dam if you have the boat for it. Drift fishing the shaded snags often produces some very chunky bream in diff varieties BG's, pumpkin seeds, calicos, even a few redears and the occasional healthy spotted bass. Water is fairly shallow and very clear so takes stealth here as well.
Study up on that section of river before putting in a boat for sure.

bird35

If fishing below the dam be very careful as the water is shallow and full of rocks.

I have a metal boat and trim the motor so the prop is only a foot deep. Doing this I have still hit boulders that stopped my motor from running.

Just go slow. My rule of thumb is one mph per foot of water depth.

This is a perfect kayak fishing place.

B

BornNRaised

THIS is why I moved my boat to Weiss. I lived on allatoona for years and have moved even farther away from metro.

Back in the stix where I like it.

little rascal

Bream

I didn't find many bream shallow or in the same places as last summer this year either. I gave up. It has been a hot, wet, crazy summer.

King.Of.Anglers.Jeremiah

Fishing ? Instructor!
They're officially done bedding now. Haven't seen any more fish on nests, though the beds are still there. Still finding them under docks and around weed beds and trees though.