putting the peices together

burkecountydeer

The trail camera is one peice of a huge puzzle when it comes to getting the picture then actually havesting the buck . now this question is only for people that have succesfuly gotton pictures and killed the buck. How do you use the camera to HELP YOu KILL the buck . do you wait till season starts to get daytime pictures to pattern the deer ? Or do you keep multiple cameras out all year and kinda put the peices together ? How do you check the cameras with limited pressure ? Where do you put the camera at , on food, travel route ext? Thanks

across the river

I don't use a trail camera to kill deer. I use trail cameras to see what deer I have. I typically only use them before the season and in early season, and once I know what I have, I generally picked out the buck I fill is most mature and hunt him. I either kill him, or don't kill anything. I have had pretty good success over the years killing the deer I had on camera, but I have never killed a deer in a spot I had a camera. I will typically set cameras throughout the property in spots easily accessible from roads. I don't set them way off to where i have to go tromping through the woods to check them. Now granted, most of the pictures I get are typically at night, but I don't worry about that. I just want to see what I have. Then at that point I can hunt the deer I want in the area he seems to be in to most, based on sign, knowledge of the area, where the bedding areas are, etc.... With all that being said, I have killed nearly every one of the bucks I targeted between the middle of October and the second weekend in November. Once the rut gets close, it all becomes luck of the draw. If you are targeting a particular deer, you best chance to pattern him and kill him is prior to the rut.