Walk in the Snow

Clipper

I got up yesterday morning and decided I was going to Pine Log WMA to see if I could track a rabbit or pig in the snow. I waited a while to let the roads thaw and got there about 10:30. I basically made a big circle around a creek drainage, walking thick ridge tops where I figured hogs would be bedded. I could also see into the creek bottom to look for feeding hogs. The woods were still and quiet without even a bird chirping or squirrel barking. I saw one set of tracks that I could definitely tell was made by a deer. I found one other area where something had turned up leaves under some oak trees. The snow wasn’t deep enough to distinguish tracks or even tell which way the animal was headed. It might have been a hog but I wasn’t sure. I had to be home by 3:00 so I chose not to try tracking the animal as it was getting late.
I walked from 10:30 to 2:00 pm, just enjoying seeing the snow covered ground and being in the woods. It was a welcome change from staying in the house the last few days due to rain and subfreezing temperatures. I really expected to see more sign than I did but I guess everything just bedded down to stay warm. I am posting some pictures hoping the South Georgia boys will enjoy the snowy woods.

Attachments

• SDC10806_opt.jpg
    SDC10806_opt.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 294
  • SDC10807_opt.jpg
    SDC10807_opt.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 288
  • SDC10809_opt.jpg
    SDC10809_opt.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 291

Skunkhound

It's dumping half dollar sized flakes of snow here in Marietta right now. Wish I had a place close by that I could do the same.

ngabowhunter

This morning would have been a good time to get out and track a rabbit or pig. I wanted to go out behind the house and try for a rabbit, but I reluctantly decided it would be best to go to work instead.