Need Advice

olcaptain

Guys I'm serious here. After looking at today's photo I noticed my bow looks a bit high. I'm not moving my stuff forward but would it help my efficiency in paddling if I were to add some weight up front? Or does it sit OK? The canoe is 17 ft and I am 6'7" and currently around 250.

Thanks for any serious replies. BTW, Merry Christmas!

7RJ9mCI.jpg

Bream Pole

would help. Why not try a sand bag instead of the stool for max's step. Not sure a block would be enough weight.

WayneB

you could always get Max a playmate...

Moving your seat and bait table towards the bow should place center of mass closer to the center of the boat, although you said you don't want to move it.
Does the canoe steer okay, or is it wandering?

Teh Wicked

Myself personally, I would try and just move my body into the center of the boat if that is an option.

olcaptain

you could always get Max a playmate...

Moving your seat and bait table towards the bow should place center of mass closer to the center of the boat, although you said you don't want to move it.
Does the canoe steer okay, or is it wandering?

It steers fine. I would have never noticed it had I not seen the photo. I'm going to try the 50 lb sandbag idea. It will be a more stable step for Max and balance things a bit as well. I'm not going to move my seat or table at this time.

olcaptain

Myself personally, I would try and just move my body into the center of the boat if that is an option.

I'm going to try the 50 lb sandbag idea. It will be a more stable step for Max and balance things a bit as well. I'm not going to move my seat or table at this time.

SASS249

In my tripping canoe I use a 5 gallon water jug. This lets me adjust the weight depending on the gear I carry as well as making sure I have plenty of potable water along.

However, if the boat steers well as is I would not worry with it. You will get blown around in wind more than needed, and if you were doing a day-long paddle you will not be as efficient as a trimmed boat. For short paddles and fishing I say don't change something that works.

olcaptain

In my tripping canoe I use a 5 gallon water jug. This lets me adjust the weight depending on the gear I carry as well as making sure I have plenty of potable water along.

However, if the boat steers well as is I would not worry with it. You will get blown around in wind more than needed, and if you were doing a day-long paddle you will not be as efficient as a trimmed boat. For short paddles and fishing I say don't change something that works.

Sound advice. Thank you!

jcarleto

My Creed for Self-Powered Craft

"NEVER ADD WEIGHT"

I would work on moving the weight you do have to a more central location. It probably rides and tracks OK as is for calm conditions, but the part of the boat that is supposed to be helping with tracking in a crosswind is sticking out of the water being a sail. That's not what I'd want.

markland

If you don't want to redistribute weight I would suggest moving your seat to balance the level of the canoe. Does not make sense to add extra unnecessary weight you will have to paddle and carry around all day, actually the less weight you have in the boat the easier it is to move and control.

WayneB

I don't think you'll need 50 lb way up in the bow.
Experiment with a 5 gallon bucket and add water until you have the boat sit more level, then weigh the bucket and target that weight in ballast.

On second thought, where is your anchor located in the boat? Maybe securing the pintle to your trolley line and moving fore will be the ticket.

I'd advise against 'adding' ballast for the reasons stated previously, however rearranging some of your existing gear forward may work without extra effort each time you go out.

Bream Pole

I used to have a a square stern Grumman aluminum canoe and I put a heavy probably 80 pound piece of iron I got from a local baler mfg. co. in the very front. It worked well. That canoe you have was built to be two man canoe and have weight in the front. It is not like your other canoe. I used to own one of those too and had seat very near center. When you have another person in the front of your 17ft aluminum canoe, you don't have the problem. I really doubt that adding 5-10 lbs up front of that long canoe is going to lower the bow much. Think of a small child in the front and that would do it. My iron weight did the trick and I could not tell it was there except it greatly aided the paddling. Sand bag is like having a small friend that doesn't paddle in the front of the canoe. I'd try it and see. Can always take it out and would when you have adult in front. Try the water first and see if that works because it is a lot less weight but I doubt it will.

olcaptain

I used to have a a square stern Grumman aluminum canoe and I put a heavy probably 80 pound piece of iron I got from a local baler mfg. co. in the very front. It worked well. That canoe you have was built to be two man canoe and have weight in the front. It is not like your other canoe. I used to own one of those too and had seat very near center. When you have another person in the front of your 17ft aluminum canoe, you don't have the problem. I really doubt that adding 5-10 lbs up front of that long canoe is going to lower the bow much. Think of a small child in the front and that would do it. My iron weight did the trick and I could not tell it was there except it greatly aided the paddling. Sand bag is like having a small friend that doesn't paddle in the front of the canoe. I'd try it and see. Can always take it out and would when you have adult in front. Try the water first and see if that works because it is a lot less weight but I doubt it will.

Sand bag is in place. I plan on trying it out tomorrow. Thanks to everyone for your input. Stay tuned.............

Dub

How about a Labrador Retriever up near the bow ? :biggrin2:

He'd already have a partner up there to enjoy the view with.