Miss Moderator Ma Hen
Staff member
RIP Gunny, sho did like that guy!:flag:

elfiii

Admin
Staff member

GunnSmokeer

Yep, I always liked him.
Did you know that he was hired only as a technical consultant on the movie Full Metal Jacket (1987), and another actor was already cast as the Drill Instructor, but Ermey lobbied for the role and showed off his creative ranting and cursing, and got it. The other actor was reassigned to the role of the helicopter door gunner ("Git some! Bam-bam-bam-bam-- Get some!")

GunnSmokeer

His military service

Some fools online, being skeptical but too lazy or dumb to actually look anything up, have claimed that R. Lee Ermey was never in Vietnam, or never in a hot zone.

From what I've seen, he was in-country for 14 months in 1968 and 1968, stationed at Da Nang air base, which was regularly attacked by rockets, mortar, and small arms gunfire during those years. A dozen people were killed and nearly 100 were injured on that base over that time period that Ermey was there supporting the air operations and making sure the planes got loaded with the fuel and weapons they needed to do their missions.

I used to have a neighbor who was a Vietnam vet who was at some airfield for months, when it was regularly hit by enemy attacks. He said it was awful how much damage just a few of the enemy could do from the hills near the base, even out of sight, but within range of their rockets and mortar rounds.

smokey30725

I had the pleasure of meeting him a few years back at a Glock Days event. My young son was with me and as he signed my copy of Full Metal Jacket, he told my son that he couldn't watch that movie until he was 30 years old, lol. He was one of the most down to earth folks you'd ever want to meet.