2018 Oglethorpe County Hunt Reports

Triple C

BD...Sure hope you find a good tract or club real soon! Be nice to get those stands back up in a place where you won't need to move them for a few years.

frdstang90

This is my second year turkey hunting and it has definately been different from last year. I went down and hunted Saturday and Sunday morning both and heard one turkey gobbling early Sunday morning a few times but was quiet by 7:00. Last year every time I went out I heard plenty of gobbling and we saw the most turkeys during last deer season that we have seen in the 11 years hunting this property.

Buford_Dawg

Did hear one...

Well, I spent Saturday AM in the woods and heard one gobble 3 times on roost and once he flew down, nothing. Sit for 3 hours in general vicinity light calling, but to no avail. I think this may have been my last hunt this year, gonna start trout fishing in the mountains, maybe I will have better luck at that :biggrin2: The last 3 or 4 turkey seasons has been frustrating to say the least. Birds are tough to come by. Good luck the remainder of the year OC guys.

Triple C

BD...Time for fishing. Son and I went out this morn and covered all parts of the property and not a single gobble. Heard quite a few bob whites calling though.

frdstang90

Went down and gave it one last try for the season Sunday morning and nothing. Last year was my first year for turkey hunting and I had gobbling every time out but just couldn't close the deal on one. It was so good it got me hooked big time. This year I have heard a total of 3 turkeys. Its a good thing last year was as good as it was because if it was like this year I would have had a short turkey hunting career. I can't figure what has happened to the turkeys. We saw the most we have ever seen during this past deer season and used to have tracks everywhere. I saw one fresh set of tracks Sunday morning since the rain is all I saw.

Triple C

Went down and gave it one last try for the season Sunday morning and nothing. Last year was my first year for turkey hunting and I had gobbling every time out but just couldn't close the deal on one. It was so good it got me hooked big time. This year I have heard a total of 3 turkeys. Its a good thing last year was as good as it was because if it was like this year I would have had a short turkey hunting career. I can't figure what has happened to the turkeys. We saw the most we have ever seen during this past deer season and used to have tracks everywhere. I saw one fresh set of tracks Sunday morning since the rain is all I saw.

Fred - I feel your pain. At this point it's just all guessing as to what has happened to the turkey population but one thing I know for sure - far fewer turkeys today...at least on our place. 7 years ago they were aggravating during deer season there were so many. Today, it's a rare thing to see a turkey from the deer stand. On the upside, we've seen more this year than the past 3 years and killed 2 toms. But still, nothing like years past.

Arrow3

Killed a fine gobbler on the ridge where I killed my very first one back in 1991 yesterday morning . Best spur was 1 3/16th and the beard was 11 1/4... Got the hunt on video with my tactacam. :shoot:

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1525286946143.jpg
    FB_IMG_1525286946143.jpg
    214 KB · Views: 306
  • FB_IMG_1525286965544.jpg
    FB_IMG_1525286965544.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 297
  • FB_IMG_1525286958669.jpg
    FB_IMG_1525286958669.jpg
    252.7 KB · Views: 305

Arrow3

Sweeet!!!!....let's see that video!

I hated I didn't get more footage of him. When the hen came from my left I had my gun that way some unsure if there was a gobbler with her too. I watched him for several minutes before I could move my gun and camera. Boys, she was right in my pocket , I can't believe she didn't spook when I moved but he was dead which ever side the tree he came out on. :yeah::yeah:

https://youtu.be/23V4Ii2SCrQ

Triple C

Brandon...had to rewind to see that sucker finally coming in. That'll cause a rapid heart beat. Nice job!

Triple C

You guys ever consider how fortunate we are to have so many active OC posters on this and previous OC threads? Just down right cool! Love getting emails saying so n so has just posted in the OC thread. I've only met a couple of you guys but swapped pm's n txts with many. Gonna have to break away from my own kitchen down there and come to Sandy Cross Cafe and hook up sometime.

Buford_Dawg

Sandy Cross cafe

You guys ever consider how fortunate we are to have so many active OC posters on this and previous OC threads? Just down right cool! Love getting emails saying so n so has just posted in the OC thread. I've only met a couple of you guys but swapped pm's n txts with many. Gonna have to break away from my own kitchen down there and come to Sandy Cross Cafe and hook up sometime.

Had a biscuit there last Saturday :D

Arrow3

Not killed in Oglethorpe but I tagged out yesterday . Good luck to you guys that's still after them. I'm gonna go with friends these last few days.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1525807377842.jpg
    FB_IMG_1525807377842.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 176
  • FB_IMG_1525807389872_50.jpg
    FB_IMG_1525807389872_50.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 175