American Kestrel near home

GAJoe

I put on the camo's and was finally able to get some good shots of the Kestrel. I can say from experience now days it's easier to get pictures of bald eagles than American Kestrel. They're small and camera shy; about like kingfisher. They are in the falcon family; it shows.

Attachments

• _O2A0698.jpg
    _O2A0698.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 208
  • _O2A0699.jpg
    _O2A0699.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 209
  • _O2A0703.jpg
    _O2A0703.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 208
  • _O2A0705.jpg
    _O2A0705.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 208

Cmp1

BANNED
Wow,,,, all I can say,,,, great shots,,,, I've gotta get my T 90 out,,,, I'll post a pic of my old setup,,,, fantastic pictures though, should be published,,,,

GAJoe

Thanks!
Canon EOS 7D Mark II • Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM

They're made for each other. 10 FPS and 65 cross type focus points.

wvdawg

Staff member
Great captures!

GAJoe

Thanks

cuda67bnl

Good pics. Now try to get pics of the male that is likely nearby too.

Cmp1

BANNED
I put on the camo's and was finally able to get some good shots of the Kestrel. I can say from experience now days it's easier to get pictures of bald eagles than American Kestrel. They're small and camera shy; about like kingfisher. They are in the falcon family; it shows.

See many Osprey your way? Your setup would be good for them in flight,,,,

GAJoe

Good pics. Now try to get pics of the male that is likely nearby too.

I'll try if I spot him hanging around.

Looks like you may know Kevin that I met today at the Monastery. He used to go over to Charlie Elliott with his hawks. It was neat learning some about falconry. How you guys help young hawks get better prepared for making it on their own.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Nice shots! Don't see nearly as many of those around here as I used to.

cuda67bnl

Looks like you may know Kevin that I met today at the Monastery.

Yeah, haven’t talked to him since about ‘05 or ‘06 when he quit flying them.

GAJoe

Yeah, haven’t talked to him since about ‘05 or ‘06 when he quit flying them.

He was workin over seas for the last ten years and got back to the monastery here lately. He has one more trip to do. He's workin on gettin his license again so he can start flyin em again. Really nice guy. You could hear his love for the sport as he talked about it.

rip18

Yep, kestrels tend to be spooky.

I saw one perched on a very cool sumac beside the road a week or so ago. I made 3 passes before I could coast to a stop off the road - of course once I had no traffic & could coast in to a stop - it had disappeared -before I even got there!

GAJoe

Yep, kestrels tend to be spooky.

I saw one perched on a very cool sumac beside the road a week or so ago. I made 3 passes before I could coast to a stop off the road - of course once I had no traffic & could coast in to a stop - it had disappeared -before I even got there!

Know the feeling. I saw a subadult bald eagle on 441 just south of Commerce, GA one day with my camera with me. I coasted to a stop having to go past. Looked out my rear window to see if it was sitting tight. OF COURSE NOT. :banginghe
It launched and a big redtail flew up to make a challenge. They splayed their wings and bumped. It would have been a great pic if I had been ready and shooting 10FPS.