chainsaw custom trigger?

rospaw

Got another. My MS311 chain saw cylinder design where it holds the muffler is a bad design. The bolts kept vibrating loose. Eventually not holding at all. I dremeled out the back side of one of the fins each side so that I could get a nut on the backside. The design is a marble size piece of metal welded or molded between the fins but never touching the cylinder. Only the fins. It's to small to retap, helicoil or timesert. So, I can't find the typical cheap top end rebuild kit. Usually you can buy an aftermarket cylinder and piston kit for $60. My big sthil concrete saw was only $50 and has worked just as well as the OEM. It seems "aftermarket" has not caught up to the 311. I may be forced into taking it to a welder to fill in the stripped screw holes and then retap.

Lock-tight would have been what i use before the threads got to bad.

Not sure if i'm with you on what you are doing but what about a GOOD epoxy. I watched a machine shop use some on a hydro pump. They machined/tap the epoxy for holding a pressure side. :eek: I was told that it would hold much better that welding in this case from the owner of the shop. The owner is a very straight shooter type of guy.

rospaw

Stuck on Oliver tractors right now ... but I Rebuilt a couple Walbros and Zama not too long ago ... a new Zama From Amazon For one Devise .... :biggrin3:

Modifying a couple chain saws too...

I'm chasing a pain in my rear hyd leak on my skidsteer. Only leaks after working it fairly hard. Can't see it from the top and to see under you have to pull both large 1/4" skid plates and jack it up. :cry: 3rd time today and still can't pinpoint what is leaking. hose/pump/fitting

And for a side note of being stupid!
Was steaming the skid steer with my large diesel fired pressure / steamer. Had it on my forklift and needed just a few feet so i just backed the forklift up a few feet. Well, the water hose hooked to the shop was only so long! It snatched that running/burning/super hot steamer off the forks flipping it over on the concrete. Snapped the burner off (still running)! Not sure if you have ever messed with one but this 300 pound steam bomb is now ready to come apart building pressure with no water source to cool it. Bad day!

1gr8bldr

I'm chasing a pain in my rear hyd leak on my skidsteer. Only leaks after working it fairly hard. Can't see it from the top and to see under you have to pull both large 1/4" skid plates and jack it up. :cry: 3rd time today and still can't pinpoint what is leaking. hose/pump/fitting

Was steaming the skid steer with my large diesel fired pressure / steamer. Had it on my forklift and needed just a few feet so i just backed the forklift up a few feet. Well, the water hose hooked to the shop was only so long! It snatched that running/burning/super hot steamer off the forks flipping it over on the concrete. Snapped the burner off (still running)! Not sure if you have ever messed with one but this 300 pound steam bomb is now ready to come apart building pressure with no water source to cool it. Bad day!
My main seal went out, however it was leaking into the chain case, so I never saw, only knew it because I kept having to add hydraulic fluid. Very expensive. I hope that is not what yours is doing

rospaw

My main seal went out, however it was leaking into the chain case, so I never saw, only knew it because I kept having to add hydraulic fluid. Very expensive. I hope that is not what yours is doing

I checked it 3-4 times hoping it was not the pump seal. :eek: I can see/touch it pulling seat frame which is easy. One of those dang hoses underneath i think is the culprit. Only does it under heavy load. I will figure it out once it cools down i hope. Just enough to drip a trail on my driveway.

1gr8bldr

I checked it 3-4 times hoping it was not the pump seal. :eek: I can see/touch it pulling seat frame which is easy. One of those dang hoses underneath i think is the culprit. Only does it under heavy load. I will figure it out once it cools down i hope. Just enough to drip a trail on my driveway.
What Skidsteer do you have?

1gr8bldr

Well, i get the stupid award for today. My left side 009 that I bought off ebay arrived. So I figured I would install it rather than wait on the new triggers I ordered. LOL, I went to take it apart.... and i have an 011. I'm not sure where I got the idea that I had a 009. Now I have to find a trigger for it. Now that i've spent $60+

K80Shooter

Well, i get the stupid award for today. My left side 009 that I bought off ebay arrived. So I figured I would install it rather than wait on the new triggers I ordered. LOL, I went to take it apart.... and i have an 011. I'm not sure where I got the idea that I had a 009. Now I have to find a trigger for it. Now that i've spent $60+

facepalm:facepalm:

BriarPatch99

Them steam genny a bad sucker ...

I happened up to a dozer shop one day ... as I rounded the corner to the shop ... I saw an ambulance out front ... lights flashing.... turns out a guy was steaming a dozer and the genny exploded ... he spent the next three weeks in the hospital ... several surgeries to dig pieces of steel out of his back ...

BriarPatch99

Oh ... Ain't no words to describe the feeling .... after pulling a belly pan ... " fixing" a problem .... do a test run ... put the pan back on ... Only to find that the "fix" was not a fix!!!

BriarPatch99

1gr8blder ... Sorry about the hijack ...

Back to your trigger .... Have you thought about sand casting using aluminum ...

I seen it done a few times ... but never did it my self ...

rospaw

lol hate that ! If i would have read this earlier ..... i went to the lawnmower junkyard today :D to get a wheel arm for a 3 wheel rider i bought. While i was there i picked up a 011 out of a pile of saws that had all plastic/trigger ect but locked up. He would have sold it to me for 20bucks i would guess. I normaly just buy stuff like that but today i just sat it back down and forgot to pick it up before i left. I might go back next week. The reason i set the saw down was i saw a orig 1952 6hp horzonal craftmans lawn tractor. Thing was tiny, looked good, orig paint, and i want it! He was holding for a guy until monday but said if he didn't buy it i could. I'm a sucker for cool old stuff.

K80Shooter

Question for you guy's that have a stihl 011,

Under the air filter where the fuel tank vent is, is there a hose coming off the vent to the carb.? Mine does not have one but I have saw pics online that shows this. Mine is the white and orange saw, I assume that is a newer version of the solid orange saw.

K80Shooter

Question for you guy's that have a stihl 011,

Under the air filter where the fuel tank vent is, is there a hose coming off the vent to the carb.? Mine does not have one but I have saw pics online that shows this. Mine is the white and orange saw, I assume that is a newer version of the solid orange saw.

Never mind, after checking further I have concluded that mine has been broken off, might explain some of the running issues I have had. Runs great on little stuff but when I really work it on bigger stuff it just wont run right. Bogs down after a while and wont run at all.

Guess I'll try to jb weld something onto it and see if that helps. Wish I had known this before putting a new drive sprocket & chain on it, not to mention the new carb. I ordered for it. :banginghe That would have went a good ways on a new one.

1gr8bldr

I used it some this weekend, pulling the cable rather than a trigger. I have not used it often, over the years, so I did not recall that it was overheating? May be time to retire it

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
I used it some this weekend, pulling the cable rather than a trigger. I have not used it often, over the years, so I did not recall that it was overheating? May be time to retire it

if a 2cycle is overheating, then it is either covered in dirt and trash, or the mixture is lean, or the fuel is not mixed correctly.

Check to make sure you have the fuel/oil mixed correctly. If you do, then you probably need to retune the carb so that enough fuel is flowing to lube and cool the engine correctly. Make sure all the baffles are on, clean and clear.

K80Shooter

If you retire it I could always use a parts saw being it's a 011, just saying.

rayjay

If the trigger is fairly simple it would be easy to hog one out of a piece of 1/2 thick alum plate. I made a trigger for a 1/2" air impact wrench for my neighbor. I did all the hogging on the milling machine and then rounded off the edges where needed with a file. Post a pic of the trigger.