What's the best HB sonar for the bow and why?

JohnK

For a helix 5/7 HB unit mounted on the TM is it preferable to have 2d sonar only/gps or a DI/gps unit?

61BelAir

Adding DI doesn't add a lot of cost and is great to have. Brush, individual limbs, rocks, etc. all really show up compared to just a blob on sonar. SI is nice too, but adds a lot to the cost.
I have the 5 DI on the bow and 7 SI on the console. I've had them for nearly a year and I'm still learning the basics of using them, but they are amazing for someone who's never had anything like that.

JohnK

I have trouble finding my lure with 200 khz 2d. Looks good when I can see it though. I guess I'm going to forget about si, I got all I can handle trying to catch the fish I find now. If I found more fish and couldn't catch them either it might spoil my day.

StriperrHunterr

Leave the side imaging at the console. You have to be moving for it to register cleanly so it wouldn't be the best fit for the bow. Use it for scouting at the console and keep 2d/DI on the bow.

And I like to swap back to DI from 2D only to confirm what I think I'm seeing on the 2D, but the 2D with the RTS window allows me to see my lure in real time, or should it be reel time, making it easier for vertical presentations to know exactly where my bait is at. You'll find that after a while you'll build a memory for how things appear on 2D that you won't need to compare as much to DI.