Powder dispenser

Thanks for all the help I have already been given! Loaded my first box of 30/30 and am enjoying myself. My question now is what kind of accuracy should I expect from my powder dispenser? I weigh each charge on a digital scale and I am getting .5 grain + or - variation. I trickled power or removed some to get an exact weight. How close is close enough? Do I need a better powder dispenser or is that typical?

transfixer

Depending on the powder you're using I would say that's typical, I have an older RCBS powder dispenser and if I'm using extruded powder that is a little on the long side it typically cuts grains on about every other throw, mine will vary as much as a full grain sometimes, I typically set the powder dispenser to throw a grain under , and then trickle in the rest. It depends on what I'm loading for how exact I settle for, for a couple rifles I have I want absolute precision, so every load is either dead on or + or - .1 Something like my Winchester .30-30 I probably wouldn't worry about being that close, but would still like each load to be within + or - .3 or so, and that probably isn't even necessary? I've just become a little compulsive over the years when it comes to reloading.

WGSNewnan

totally normal. i drop loads about .5 short and then trickle the rest into the pan on my digital scale.

jmoser

Extruded rifle powders are tough; Varget is the worst - has to be hand trickled or auto dispensed. H4895 / H4831SC are OK, better than 0.5 for me.

But fine powders like TAC / CFE / H110 etc. can meter within 0.1 gr no problem. I load thousands of pistol rounds with WST on a Dillon and also throw +/- 0.1 no problem.

I have an electric auto dispenser and a manual powder dispenser besides the Dillons but honestly for 20-50 rds of rifle its not a big job to hand dip and trickle on the digital scale.

Trying to work up a good cast round without a gas check. Something economical and easy on the gun and myself. Off to the range with my first batch now!

Attachments

• 12044.jpg
    12044.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 172

BriarPatch99

I also use a older RCBS Uniflow....

With a large grain powder you will get some variation ... I can manage to keep it to an acceptable minimum by making sure the technique of the motion operating the handle is the same each time ... I can change the variation by just changing the way I move the handle ...

If I am throwing max charges, I use a trickler to bring it up to the correct amount...

I have almost no problem throwing any of the fine powder near dead on ....

The problem child for me is 800X .... It has grains like cornflakes ...

280 Man

Banned
While I really enjoy reloading I don't load high volumes of cartridges at any one time. Therefore, I personally have never seen a need for a powder dispenser. I dip and weigh every charge.

However, if I loaded high volumes of pistol ammo I would definitely would use one.

Jester896

Senior Clown
Harrells usually throw a little better than that as far as a conventional measure. I have seen my RCBS off by .5 or more a lot...small drum or large.

I have never seen my Dillon powder measure be off more than -.1 but never +.1 and ball powders for the most part only in there.

BriarPatch99

Yes Harrell's ...is probably one of the best ....

It should ... at over twice the price of the Uniflow ...

Looks like Bobby is loading cast 30/30 loads ... a Harrell's would be like buying a D8 to cut grass with ...

It would be a good investment if he ever plans on benchrest ...

transfixer

I need to upgrade my powder dispenser, I've been looking at the Hornady lock n load scale and dispenser, I usually load 50 to 100 rifle loads at a time, gets a little old measuring each one by hand.

treemanjohn

Banned
I have a Harrells as well. It's a great piece of equipment and very accurate. That said I throw 10 charges, weigh them, and divide by 10 to average out hunting loads.

ScottD

I have two different Harrells. A four click and a six click. I also have a couple of lees and an RCBS and also a Chargemaster.

I can throw +- .2 gn with the Harrells which I use for Benchrest competition. But I found out I can throw +- .2 with the RCBS also. Think about it... The RCBS and the harrells are both Culver type measure and basically work the exact same way. When the handle goes up the cavity fills with powder and when it goes down, the powder falls out. You adjust the volume to change the amount. The RCBS is an Absolute pain to adjust - the Harrells is a dream.

I use a Chargemaster if I am in a match with multiple relays and have time but usually I use the Harrells. My competition set up uses a custom powder bottle I made. I took two powder bottles and cut the bottoms off and put the two bottles together with a funnel between. This way you can fill the top bottle as much as you want but the bottom bottle always has a consistent amount in it and therefor a consistent weight forcing powder into the culver cavity. Like this.

WSdX25oh.jpg

So, is that really necessary? I'm not sure it is, but it taught me something. When using the powder measure you can hear the powder go through the funnel section. You would be amazed at how long it takes. If you do not pause at the top of the up stroke you will not get consistent throws.

So after discovering this and doing LOTS of test throws, I found that I get the most consistent throws with a slow up stroke, pause, and slow down stroke. No tapping at the end of either movement. I think tapping changes the density of the powder in both the culver cavity and powder bottle.

The main point is that it actually takes a lot of practice to get to consistent throws. After 20 years of competition, I think that 2 tenths of a grain is plenty close enough. The biggest question that sticks in the back of my mind is whether it is more accurate to measure powder by weight or volume? I doubt one is any better than the other.

So there you go...more than you ever wanted to know about powder measuring.

jmoser

I need to upgrade my powder dispenser, I've been looking at the Hornady lock n load scale and dispenser, I usually load 50 to 100 rifle loads at a time, gets a little old measuring each one by hand.

I have the Hornady [bought in 2010 timeframe so they may have tweaked it.] Use it almost exclusively for Varget with good results. It has 3 speeds; I use it on 'fast' and set for .1-.2 gr below the target weight. After it warms up [10+ rounds] it will start to overshoot a bit. I have my digital scale next to it; if off by more than .1 or .2 depending I just dump on the standard scale, start the next autodispense cycle, and dip a few granules by hand out of the 'high' load while it cycles again.

Its better on normal / slow speeds but takes a while to trickle the last .1-.2 out and not go over. So I like the fast speed and don't mind the manual effort on the overcharged ones. [It beeps and locks if it meters too much - good error check.]

Starting with prepped and primed cases I can load 50 rds with Varget in less than 1 hr including every charge weighed, seated, crimped [if needed] and COL checked with calipers. Not going for speed records as most all these are for match / bench type shooting 30+ rds fired at a time. Plinking loads go on the Dillon with other powders.

Also use Varget in the 45-70 but don't shoot more than a few of those at a time !!!

BriarPatch99

"
I can throw +- .2 gn with the Harrells which I use for Benchrest competition. But I found out I can throw +- .2 with the RCBS also. Think about it... The RCBS and the harrells are both Culver type measure and basically work the exact same way. When the handle goes up the cavity fills with powder and when it goes down, the powder falls out. You adjust the volume to change the amount. The RCBS is an Absolute pain to adjust - the Harrells is a dream."

I use the RCBS micrometer stem ...so adjustments are pretty easy....

Thanks guys. It did much better with 2400 than 3031. I will stick with the suggestion to shoot low with the measure and trickle to final weight. I shot 30 rounds yesterday at .5 grain increments. 30-30 may not be the most rewarding for load development. Only real change I got was in elevation.

Klondike

So not many posts here surprise me but...

I have used the plastic Lee Perfect Powder measure for 8 years and am on my second one.

Both threw +/- .1 no issue weighing every charge in 5. I thought that was normal. Powders I use

H100V
IMR 4350
H110
H1000
IMR4064
H414
Varget
RL 17
RL 22
and a few others

Don't discount the $30 Lee I guess