If the season deer limits are changed to 2 bucks & 3 does

Buckman18

FACT: Our DNR stats show the average Georgia hunter kills LESS than 2 deer per year.

Changing the limit to 5 will result in a net 0% impact. Won't change a dang thing.

Y'all gonna have to do better than that.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
FACT: Our DNR stats show the average Georgia hunter kills LESS than 2 deer per year.

Changing the limit to 5 will result in a net 0% impact. Won't change a dang thing.

Y'all gonna have to do better than that.

I agree.

XIronheadX

PF Trump Cam Operator !20/20
It's not about what the avg hunter does though. It's about what Hillbilly is saying above. I think Charlie said the avg harvest to keep the hard balanced was 30 to 35 percent harvested yearly. I could be wrong. But, if you have decent deer numbers of 25 to 30 deer per sq. mile, You can harvest 8 to 10 deer on 640 acres. You can figure out the rest if you passed elementary math on acreage you hunt. And the hunting pressure next door. If you are in one of those 600 acre clubs with 12 people and everyone shoots a deer(hopefully balanced either sex), you are decreasing the population. That's when the coyote stories appear. lol

Some areas don't get pressured much, there's plenty. Some hunt high acreage per hunter, and take suggestions from biologist. But, don't complain if you are piling them up.

shdw633

Here is why changing the limit to two or three does won't help in most of the Southeast:

The majority of Georgia has an average deer population of 25-30 per square mile, according to the latest info I could find in a quick search of the current deer management plan. If we go with 30 deer on 640 acres, that means roughly 15 does and 15 bucks. If that 640 acres is all in one club, and you have one hunter per hundred acres, you have six-seven hunters. If each hunter on that club kills one doe, about half the does on that land are now gone. If each hunter kills two does, which is fairly normal, you now have basically no does left. What's the population look like next year?

And people next year will be screaming that the coyotes ate all the deer. No they didn't- you did. And that's not even taking into account the deer on that property that actually were eaten by coyotes, run over by cars, or died from disease or old age.

Now, let's say that the 640 acres in question is a more realistic square mile: two 250-acre leases, two fifty-acre family farms, and a few smaller tracts of land. Each of those leases will probably have four-five hunters apiece. The family farms will probably have one or two people hunting each one. And at least a couple of the smaller tracts will have somebody hunting them. That's 16 likely hunters on that 640 acres. With 15 does and 15 bucks, and the bucks can't have fawns. And let's say that at least part of these folks will realistically be letting most of the bucks walk and shooting a doe or two for meat to save the bucks that aren't "shooters."

Do the math. And keep screaming about coyotes eating up all the deer.

If you want more deer, shoot less does and more bucks.

By your own math, those same hunters shooting 2 bucks on that lease leaves no bucks to breed either. So it could hurt the herd if you reduce the does and put the pressure on the bucks on properties that you have just described.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
By your own math, those same hunters shooting 2 bucks on that lease leaves no bucks to breed either. So it could hurt the herd if you reduce the does and put the pressure on the bucks on properties that you have just described.

But he wasn't advocating for that and he's right. Lay off the does and focus on the bucks and your population will increase. Assuming you don't kill all the bucks either.

sghoghunter

What they should do is go to a limit of five which includes three doe's and two bucks which one of the bucks had to be ear wide eight point. Once the deer are killed they must be checked into a mandatory check station which would be one per county. Once you check in your deer you get a ticket that goes to the processor.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
What they should do is go to a limit of five which includes three doe's and two bucks which one of the bucks had to be ear wide eight point. Once the deer are killed they must be checked into a mandatory check station which would be one per county. Once you check in your deer you get a ticket that goes to the processor.

That sounds like a lot of "militancy" with zero results.

sghoghunter

Might not but it don't hurt to throw it out there like everyone else. You can have a limit of two or twenty and there is going to be some that won't kill anything but there's going to be some that kills five people's limit

DAVE

Go to a draw system for residents and limit the number of hunter permits to half of what it is now.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
The deer herd is better than it was during the depression. They say better than 100 years ago. It’s better than when I was a kid in the 60 Ty’s.

across the river

Here is why changing the limit to two or three does won't help in most of the Southeast:

The majority of Georgia has an average deer population of 25-30 per square mile, according to the latest info I could find in a quick search of the current deer management plan. If we go with 30 deer on 640 acres, that means roughly 15 does and 15 bucks. If that 640 acres is all in one club, and you have one hunter per hundred acres, you have six-seven hunters. If each hunter on that club kills one doe, about half the does on that land are now gone. If each hunter kills two does, which is fairly normal, you now have basically no does left. What's the population look like next year?

And people next year will be screaming that the coyotes ate all the deer. No they didn't- you did. And that's not even taking into account the deer on that property that actually were eaten by coyotes, run over by cars, or died from disease or old age.

Now, let's say that the 640 acres in question is a more realistic square mile: two 250-acre leases, two fifty-acre family farms, and a few smaller tracts of land. Each of those leases will probably have four-five hunters apiece. The family farms will probably have one or two people hunting each one. And at least a couple of the smaller tracts will have somebody hunting them. That's 16 likely hunters on that 640 acres. With 15 does and 15 bucks, and the bucks can't have fawns. And let's say that at least part of these folks will realistically be letting most of the bucks walk and shooting a doe or two for meat to save the bucks that aren't "shooters."

Do the math. And keep screaming about coyotes eating up all the deer.

If you want more deer, shoot less does and more bucks.

In the 80's you got two buck tags and three doe tags, and at some point in the 90's it was upped to 2 bucks and 5 does. The deer population in the mid nineties was as high as it has ever been in the state with those limits, and I knew plenty of people back then that would kill their limit. The difference was there weren't 25 people hunting 500 acres as you mention. there was more land and less people. The funny thing is that most of the true legitimate "horn" clubs I know have far less hunters per acre than the family clubs do. If someone is dropped $1500, $2500 dollars or more to have a change at a decent buck, they typically don't give a rip about killing a bunch for the freezer. I know you love to bash the "horn hunter" every chance your get, but your argument doesn't hold water in this situation. The dude hunting a 25 acre tract that is passing up a six point to shoot a doe isn't a horn hunter. He is a dude with 25 acres that has a carrying capacity on his place of one deer according to your math, that he killed. If he shoots it, theoretically, he has no deer regardless of what sex it was. If the 640 acres is made up of that tract and 24 other ~25 acre tracts, and the owner on each one shoots a deer, there are not deer left, regardless of what they shoot. The problem is too many people hunting too little acreage, so quite blaming on the horn hunters, just because you like to shoot four pointers. They aren't the problem, as most of them aren't having trouble seeing deer on their place.

Mako22

BANNED
Too many bucks running around now as it is so they need to raise the buck limit. I'd be happy with 5 bucks and 10 does per season.

PappyHoel

I dont think even i would follow that and I drive the speed limit. :)

Sixes

If it's a wish limit, I'd like it to stay at 12 deer a year, but all tags are either sex with no antler restrictions.

shdw633

HB 950 allows 12 deer hunters choice

That's not exactly what that bill is saying. It is setting possession limits in a way that the DMAP program can be utilized. This is not a blank check for 12 deer regardless of sex:

In accordance with subsection (b) of this Code
section and as may be appropriate, based on sound wildlife management principles, the
department is authorized to develop a Deer Management Assistance Program (DMAP), which may include applicable fees, and may prescribe property-specific deer harvests without complying with the state-wide bag limit as part of such program."