Remington 1187

groundhawg

Please tell me the pros and cons of the Remington 1187.
Would love to hear any information you wish to share.

Thanks.

Greg

P&Y FINALY

I Have A 1187 Sp And I Cant Shoot Low Brass Shells Out Of It. I Believe Its Only The Sp That Has This Problem But Its Something To Check On Before You Buy One If That Is Something That Would Be A Problem For You. Other Than That, Its Been Flawless. Ive About Wore The Camo Off Of It & Its Still Going Strong. I'd Highly Recomend One.

Sargent

There are not many cons to an 11-87. If you shoot it enough, the o-ring will go bad and you will have to replace it (a whopping dollar or two).

With a standard 11-87, you can shoot 2 3/4 as well as 3 inch shells. So, that gives you a wide range of uses.

You can also find barrels pretty easily for them. My current 11-87 came stock with a 26", and I am looking for a 30" just for fun. They also make a 21" slug barrel as well.

I have never (fortunately) had to return a shotgun for repair, but from what I hear (I think someone wrote something about it on this forum), Remington's customer service and repair depts are top notch.

I am on my second 11-87 and i could kick myself for selling my first. IMHO, it is the best all-around autoloading shotgun on the market.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
I have an 11-87 SP and an 11-87 Premier. I was an 1100 man until I bought the 11-87SP. It is a fine shotgun for the money.

OkieHunter

Some 1187's with 26 in barrels will not shoot low brass. A buddy of mine had one and even Remington told him that they have problems with low brass. This was an earley 1187 so they may have taken care of the problem. I have a 29 inch 1187 SP and it will shuck any ammo you put in it like shuckin corn I have never had it jamb or fail to cycle.

groundhawg

As always get great information and suggestions here. Now I that I am sure I want one will have to find one for sale.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

GT

P&Y FINALY

My 1187 Sp Has It Printed Right On The Barrel Not To Use Low Brass Shells. Something To Do With The Ejectors Is What I Understand. Only On The Sp Though. There Is One On Here For Sale Along W/ Some Other Guns & I Believe He Wanted 400.00. Thats Pretty Good In My Opinion.

Sargent

I think the problem with low brass was with older models. I had an 11-87 made in about 1990 and I don't remember it having much of a problem (it had a 28" barrel). My new one has a 26" barrel and all I have shot out of it so far is low brass. I have had no problems with it ejecting.

P&Y FINALY

I think the problem with low brass was with older models. I had an 11-87 made in about 1990 and I don't remember it having much of a problem (it had a 28" barrel). My new one has a 26" barrel and all I have shot out of it so far is low brass. I have had no problems with it ejecting.

IM PRETTY SURE ITS JUST THE SPs THAT HAVE THAT PROBLEM. MINE IS ABOUT 6-7 YEARS OLD. ITS NOT REALLY A PROBLEM FOR ME ITS JUST SOMETHING TO KEEP IN MIND DEPENDING ON WHAT ITS USED FOR. DUCKS & TURKEYS ITS GOOD TO GO. DOVES/QUAIL/SKEET......I GOTTA USE A DIFFERENT GUN.

Tom L.

I had an 11-87 SP for 20 years (sold it to a member here) and shot everything imaginable through it with no problems ever. Changed the rubber O ring twice in 20 years...from the Savannah Swamp mud to freezing temps in South Dakota it was completely dependable. I was particular about keeping it clean...I 'm certain that helps with shell feeding. The only negative is that it can heavy after an all day slog. The only reason I sold it was is that I'm a lefty and decided for fianally get a left haded rig. A fine "meat & potatoes" field gun!