Son wants Chickens

Capt Quirk

You don't really need to run power, they have solar fence chargers. Just add a 12v deep cycle to it, and you're good to go.

Jeff Raines

Nice coop,,,, how are you keeping the critters out?

The run(not in pictures) is fenced 6 ft wide by 16 ft long.The whole run is covered by a tin roof.Concrete pavers all around the bottom of the fencing.

karen936

Head Researcher, McDurdellson Enterprises, Inc.
not even that I just bought solar don't need a deep cycle battery

Jeff Raines

Chicken run....try to get pic rotated correctly one more time

Attachments

• coop (2).jpg
    coop (2).jpg
    211.7 KB · Views: 413

MOTS

I would use Cackle Hatchery if I ordered online. We are pretty much raising our own now. I have 2 of the 10x10 dog pens which makes it a 10x30 together. I put 18 inch chicken wire around the bottom. When nothing is growing in the garden we let them free range. I did buy 3 of the tops with a tarp for the pens which has lasted far longer than I expected at 5 years and still look good. Definately better than the tarps at most stores. I made some nest out of OSB and some are 6 gallon buckets. I can't remember but want to say there is a 15 chick minimum on mail order birds. Here's 7 of 12 that I have. Also have 2 roosters(father and son) that hate each other.

Attachments

• IMG_1119 (1).JPG
    IMG_1119 (1).JPG
    207.9 KB · Views: 405

Jeff Raines

Last 4 days worth of eggs

Attachments

• F04BCECE-A357-4BBD-88EA-9BB1C0A818E9.jpg
    F04BCECE-A357-4BBD-88EA-9BB1C0A818E9.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 269

ssramage

Predator proof your coop. We did fine for nearly 10 years, but since the second week in January we`ve lost 14 hens as of last week.

Understood. Being as close to the marsh as we are, coons will be my #1 Predator. I plan to lay blocks along the foundation, coop will sit on top and then bury fencing a couple feet around the perimeter. That should at least give me a fighting chance.

The exact coop I’m looking to have built (with a few modifications) is the 4th in this CL link:

https://macon.craigslist.org/grd/d/chicken-coops/6479885679.html

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Understood. Being as close to the marsh as we are, coons will be my #1 Predator. I plan to lay blocks along the foundation, coop will sit on top and then bury fencing a couple feet around the perimeter. That should at least give me a fighting chance.

The exact coop I’m looking to have built (with a few modifications) is the 4th in this CL link:

https://macon.craigslist.org/grd/d/chicken-coops/6479885679.html

A mighty smart man on predators told me that about 17 inches out from the fence is as far as a predator will dig to try to get under it. It works too, so no need to go much further out than that with your buried fencing.

ssramage

I would use Cackle Hatchery if I ordered online. We are pretty much raising our own now. I have 2 of the 10x10 dog pens which makes it a 10x30 together. I put 18 inch chicken wire around the bottom. When nothing is growing in the garden we let them free range. I did buy 3 of the tops with a tarp for the pens which has lasted far longer than I expected at 5 years and still look good. Definately better than the tarps at most stores. I made some nest out of OSB and some are 6 gallon buckets. I can't remember but want to say there is a 15 chick minimum on mail order birds. Here's 7 of 12 that I have. Also have 2 roosters(father and son) that hate each other.

I’ll take a look at Cackle. I ran the prices for 6 birds from McMurray last night and it was $350 after shipping!!!:eek:

I may be trying to find some locally.

Cmp1

BANNED
Predator proof your coop. We did fine for nearly 10 years, but since the second week in January we`ve lost 14 hens as of last week.

We've got predators,,,, but we also have a door on our coop,,,, nothing gonna get in there,,,, it's just been so cold they've stopped laying,,,, tried the light thing,,,, no luck,,,, it's the temps up here,,,, come spring,,,, back to around 8 to 10 per day,,,, 12 birds,,,,

Would also like to say,,,, make sure that you wash the eggs and your hands after handling them,,,, our birds lay the biggest eggs,,,, and good,,,,

Cmp1

BANNED
The main predator around here are the Eagles,,,, but our farm dog is on the lookout and keeps them away,,,,

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
The main predator around here are the Eagles,,,, but our farm dog is on the lookout and keeps them away,,,,

I know one, possibly two of ours that were killed and beheaded by a male great horned owl. The rest were taken by the red foxes. I really think the gray foxes were "collateral" damage.

But, come to a predator call out by The Lady`s chicken pen right now and you`ll collect a 22 longrifle solid in the head.

MOTS

Cackle is about 62.00 shipped for 6 chicks and 71.00 for 15
That's hen pricing.

That was for common brown egg layers.
You should get a free chick on the 6 order and 2 on the 15 order.

ssramage

Cackle is about 62.00 shipped for 6 chicks and 71.00 for 15
That's hen pricing.

That was for common brown egg layers.
You should get a free chick on the 6 order and 2 on the 15 order.

They’re started pullets are $100 each:rofl:

ssramage

Another option to making the coop predator proof is to put it on an empty concrete slab in my yard. Just not sure that’s the greatest idea, especially in the SEGA heat.

Keep them on grower feed until they lay their 1st egg. This will help with coccidiosis. Also, put vinegar in the water about once a month for worms. And, don't deny your boy for wanting to farm. He will learn some valuable lessons. Eggs are cheap but you'll get several dozen eggs from a bag of feed plus fertilizer.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
Look in the paper in your area
Classifieds under farm animals.
Flea market
Look on pin up boards at feed supply house. Ask there also.
Tractor supply sells them chicks every spring.