Black coyotes/ wolf DNA

mr otter

So I believe the discussion is settled on coyotes having various degrees of wolf DNA in them, but my question is do black coyotes have more wolf DNA than normal colored Coyotes? I’ve probably caught 50 Black coyotes in all my years of trapping and I’ve noticed that when handling them for live market they are the most aggressive of all the coyotes and the have a distinctly different face/ head with longer faces and almost always have a white spot on their chest. If Nic or some of you other serious trappers could give your opinions I would love to hear them!

mr otter

I caught one in particular a few years ago that must have had a majority of this southern wolf DNA in him because he was one of the few I’ve ever caught that lunged at me instead of try to get away. A true alpha male! But what I noticed about this black yote was that his head and face were much different that the 30 or so “normal” yotes that I had at the time. He also grabbed me by my muck boot and made me squeal like a girl😂 as close as I’ve ever come to getting bit and I’m pretty careful! Bartram had it right, although the only true totally black I’ve ever caught was a long silky haired female. As a side note, I caught a yote the other day that had to be over 50lb. I know there will be some naysayers but I’ve handled thousands and this was by far the biggest I’ve ever seen! He would have put a big German Shepard to shame!

mr otter

I almost feel like the name “red wolf” is a misnomer because I’ve never caught a big red coyote with the same features as the black. Almost seems like the black one are a different species or a subspecies of the red wolf. Thoughts?

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
This one is the biggest I`ve ever taken. Wish I had weighed him. He was heavy.

From Worth County about 35 years ago.

Attachments

• big red.jpg
    big red.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 799

chase870

Possum Sox
This one is the biggest I`ve ever taken. Wish I had weighed him. He was heavy.

From Worth County about 35 years ago.

Nic that's a stud of a yote. Just looking at the pic I would guess you ain't small guy, and that sure enough means that aint a small yote

mr otter

That thing is a beast! If the one I had would have been a good boy and got on the bathroom scale like I wanted him to I would have a weight??

mossyoakpro

I have a black one romping around...would love to get him in handcuffs.

Jake Allen

This is all interesting to me. Thanks for informative link Nick.

Look at the face on this female I caught a few weeks ago in Carroll Cty. There is the white patch on her chest, and she had a white tip on her tail. Weighed 35 pounds.
She was really aggressive when I first walked up.

Attachments

• Blackie.jpg
    Blackie.jpg
    202 KB · Views: 710

sportsman94

Its funny you guys mention the aggression you have seen in yours. I have seen the complete opposite in the black or other color phase coyotes i have caught. Every one of them was as timid as could be and would do nothing but sulk. I assumed they were all like that but I guess that isn't the case!

Mr.MainFrame10

I caught one in particular a few years ago that must have had a majority of this southern wolf DNA in him because he was one of the few I’ve ever caught that lunged at me instead of try to get away. A true alpha male! But what I noticed about this black yote was that his head and face were much different that the 30 or so “normal” yotes that I had at the time. He also grabbed me by my muck boot and made me squeal like a girl😂 as close as I’ve ever come to getting bit and I’m pretty careful! Bartram had it right, although the only true totally black I’ve ever caught was a long silky haired female. As a side note, I caught a yote the other day that had to be over 50lb. I know there will be some naysayers but I’ve handled thousands and this was by far the biggest I’ve ever seen! He would have put a big German Shepard to shame!

That doesn't surprise me at all. A big male German Sheppard can weigh as much as 85 pounds.

blt152

I’ve never shot a black coyote but I’ve seen two that surpassed the fifty pound mark. I shot one 20 yrs ago in Ohio that weighed 52 pounds and another that was shot on a black powder hunt on a WMA for deer that weighed an even 60 pounds. Mine was weighed on a set of scales that the farmer used to bag grain and the other was weighed on the scales used to weigh deer that were taken on the special hunt. I never gave much thought to these animals being of wolf DNA as it was not even mentioned back in that time era. Knowing now what I do about the traits of the coywolf I would say it is possible they were coywolves. I say this because one trait I did notice was the fact that the coyotes in Ohio were becoming pack animals. I say this because most of the coyotes I killed by calling in Ohio would come in as singles or a mated pair or with a couple pups. I once saw nine in a pack running across a pasture and heard several packs howling at night.

oppthepop

Nic - outstanding read. Thanks for posting. It goes along with what i have been saying for a long while.