Best way to cook hybrids

jcdona

Does anyone eat hybrids. We caught plenty last weekend . I have never had any so I fried them. They were ok but really strong. Any suggestions.

Cut out all of the red meat. That will get rid of the strong flavor. Blackened striper/hybrid is one of my favorites. Cook them in butter in a hot iron skillet.

They are also great in fish chowder.

ryork

Yep, if you want to get rid of the strong fishy taste, cut out all or almost all of the blood line/red meat. Soaking them for a while in salty water or buttermilk helps too, just rinse it all off when ready to cook. I'll eat a hybrid once in a while, but won't ever freeze any.

MattKelley

Like stripers, you definitely need to cut the blood line out. I don't worry as much about the rest of the red but it does have a stronger flavor. I prefer searing in a frying pan then top with lemon butter sauce. Only ever fry them to make sandwiches. You can also soak the fillets in milk overnight to get rid of some of the fishy.

across the river

Cut out all of the red meat. That will get rid of the strong flavor. Blackened striper/hybrid is one of my favorites. Cook them in butter in a hot iron skillet.

They are also great in fish chowder.

X2. Cut out all of the blood line that runs the length of the fillet. the white meat isn't fishy at all and is some of the best tasting fish out there IMO. It is good pretty much anyway you cook it, blackened, fried, baked.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
For reinforcement of the idea, cut everything red out of them. It makes a huge difference. :)

dmiles

As already made clear cut all the red meat out. Other than that I've fried, broiled and even steamed and dipped in seasoned butter like crab. Bone appetit

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
I love it. I cook it in many of the ways mentioned above. I do soak all of my fish in lemon lime soft drink before cooking.

The mtn man

Cut out all red, soak in salt water over the day, coat frying pan with olive oil, wash fillets after salt bath, drizzle fillets with lemon juice, coat fillets with Italian bread crumbs, sear fillets in olive oil making bread crumbs into a crust, turn heat down and finish cooking thoroughly, delicious!!!

Good information from everyone. Making me want to go catch some more.

I haven’t tried soaking them in 7up. I usually soak them in salt water with some lemon juice and a little baking soda.

jcdona

Thanks for all your help. I still have a couple fillets and will give it another try tonight.

red neck richie

I fillet them up and leave them in the fridge overnight. Dry the fillets with a paper towel. Baste them with melted butter and lemon juice. Season with salt, pepper and a little garlic powder. Place in aluminum foil and cook on the grill. Do not over cook. Enjoy. Of course this is for fresh fish i don't eat a lot of frozen fish.

Last edited:

GT-40 GUY

Gone But Not Forgotten
Clean scale and put chopped onions and limes in the chest cavity. Put on a pine board and bake for 45 minutes at 350 degrees. When done baking let cool then throw the fish away and eat the pine board. ::ke:

gt40

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Good information from everyone. Making me want to go catch some more.

I haven’t tried soaking them in 7up. I usually soak them in salt water with some lemon juice and a little baking soda.

Crystal hot sauce and lemon juice is what I usually soak them in for a short while.

fishingdave

Like others have said, cut out all the red blood line. Also helps to bleed them out when you first catch them. I end up with all white meat chunks the size of chicken strips.

Clean in cold water
flour
egg
Panko bread crumbs
15 minutes @ 400degf on a airbake cookie sheet
cocktail sauce or into taco shells with other stuff.

AStrick

Marinade for a few hrs in milk!!
It works on fish,, hogs deer,,
Anything!
It take the wang outta bass or any other fish!
It takes the gamey taste out of deer and hogs,,,
Try it?
If I'm lying I'm dying!
Fo Sho!

little rascal

Yea, filet them and tack them to a plank or piece of plywood. Season them and prop them up next to fire. When they flake easily, throw them in the fire and eat the plank or plywood!!!:clap:
Seriously, I have fried and smoked them and they are okay, if you don't like fishy, cut out the red meat as some have suggested. Of course fish should taste a little fishy, or you if you're too yuppy you can always buy Tilapia or Orange Roughy at the grocery store.
White bass are way better!!!