; The spirit of man - Georgia Outdoor News Forum

GON Magazine | GON Classifieds

Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Spiritual Help and Religion Discussions > Spiritual Discussions and Study

Old 04-14-2017, 11:10 PM
Default The spirit of man

The spirit of man is the intellect, will, mind, conscience, and other faculties that make him a free moral agent and a rational being. The Hebrew word ruach translated spirit occurs 389 times and is rendered spirit 237 times. In the remaining 152 times it is rendered in twenty-two different ways. The root meaning of ruach is invisible force; and as this force has so many manifestations, several renderings of it are necessary to better harmonize the various ideals. It is the invisible life that came from God and goes back to God (Eccl. 3:19-20). The various ways in which "ruach" is used are.
(1) It is used of God as being invisible (Ps. 143:10; Isa. 30:1).
(2) It is used of the Holy Spirit (Gen. 1:2; Isa. 48:16; 61:1).
(3) It is used of the invisible part of man (Eccl. 3:19; Num. 16:22; 27:16). It is used of man's mind (Gen. 26:35; Prov. 29:11; Ezek. 11:5; 20:32; Dan. 5:20; Hab. 1:11). Things spoken of the spirit of man enable us to understand what part of man it is. The spirit of man can be troubled (Gen. 41:8); revived (Gen. 5:27); and be in anguish (Exodus 6:9); It can be made willing (Exodus 35:21); jealous (Num. 5:14, 30); hardened (Deut. 2:30); and sorrowful (1 Sam. 1:15); It can be stirred up (2 Chron. 36:22); committed to God (Ps. 31:5); guileless (Ps. 32:2); contrite (Ps. 34:18); broken (Ps. 51:17); overwhelmed (Ps. 77:3); steadfast (Ps. 78:8); provoked (Ps. 106:33); hasty (Prov. 14:29); haughty (Prov. 16:18); humble (Prov. 16:19); ruled (Prov. 16:32); wounded (Prov. 18:14); vexed (Eccl. 1:14); patient (Eccl. 7:8); proud (Eccl. 7:8); heavy (Isa. 61:3); and be made to understand (Job 20:3; 32:8). It can be constrained (Job 32:18); searched (Ps. 77:6); made to keep secrets (Prov. 11:13); and can get into error (Isa. 29:24).
(4) Ruach is used of angels and other spirit beings (Ps. 104:4; Ezek. 1; Lev. 19:31; 20:6; Zech. 6:5).
The Greek word for spirit in the New Testament is pneuma and corresponds to ruach above. It occurs in the Greek text about 385 times. The various ways in which it is used are.
(1) It is used of God, who is Spirit (John 4:24); of Christ (1 Cor. 6:17; 15:45); and of the Holy Spirit (Matt. 1:18; 3:11 and fifty other times).
(2) It is used of the new nature of the child of God (1 Cor. 6:17).
(3) It is used of angels and other spirit beings (Heb. 1:14; 1 Pet. 3:19; Mark 1:27; Luke 10:20; 1 Cor. 12:10; 1 John 4:1-6).
(4) It is used of the resurrection body (1 Cor. 15:45).
The soul and spirit make the inner man "which is not corruptible" (1 Pet. 3:4). They are so closely related that it is hard to distinguish the minutest details of difference between them; but there is a difference, as it is clear from 1 Thess. 5:23; Heb. 4:12. In general we can say that the spirit of man is that which knows (1 Cor. 2:11), and the soul of man is that which feels, Both together form a real, tangible spirit body that fits inside the physical body.
Old 04-14-2017, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banjo Picker View Post
The spirit of man is the intellect, will, mind, conscience, and other faculties that make him a free moral agent and a rational being.

The soul and spirit make the inner man "which is not corruptible" (1 Pet. 3:4). They are so closely related that it is hard to distinguish the minutest details of difference between them; but there is a difference, as it is clear from 1 Thess. 5:23; Heb. 4:12. In general we can say that the spirit of man is that which knows (1 Cor. 2:11), and the soul of man is that which feels, Both together form a real, tangible spirit body that fits inside the physical body.
The very part of man that you say makes us a free moral agent, is not corruptible. This very non-corruptible part fits inside the physical body.

So then would you contend the intellect, will, mind, conscience of our spirit/soul doesn't make us sin? Considering that it's not corruptible?
Old 04-14-2017, 11:55 PM

What I'm getting at is I don't believe sin originates in our arms or genitalia. Therefore either our "intellect, will, mind, conscience" is part of our flesh or our soul or spirit is corruptible.

If our spirit or soul is not corruptible, does this mean all spirits and souls go to Heaven?

I think that the entity we are as humans making up our mind, body, and spirit/soul is capable of sin. Maybe it takes all three to sin. Regardless it originates in our figurative hearts. We still sin and in that way even after salvation we are corruptible from sin.
The only difference is that sin doesn't count against us. The washing removed our sin from our slate. Jesus wiped our slate clean.

I think 1 Peter 3:4 is telling us our spirit is imperishable more than not corruptible.

Instead, it should be the inner disposition of the heart, consisting in the imperishable quality of a gentle and quiet spirit, which God values greatly.

Perhaps it's saying such as an uncorrupted spirit not that the spirit can't become corrupted;

1 Peter 3:4
But be adorned in the secret person of the heart and in a humble spirit which is uncorrupted, an excellent ornament before God.

Last edited by Artfuldodger; 04-15-2017 at 11:23 AM.
Old 04-16-2017, 09:16 PM

your psyche is the mind or spirit it is how we know mentally, non physical things, like math

Your pnuema is spiritual , it is how we know God, and love, enjoy sunsets, etc.

The body or some is physical and how we relate to the physical.

The soma and psyche cannot respond to the spiritual just as the soma cannot respond to a math problem.

We sin spiritually and the other two can suffer the consequences
Old 04-17-2017, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marketgunner View Post
your psyche is the mind or spirit it is how we know mentally, non physical things, like math

Your pnuema is spiritual , it is how we know God, and love, enjoy sunsets, etc.

The body or some is physical and how we relate to the physical.

The soma and psyche cannot respond to the spiritual just as the soma cannot respond to a math problem.

We sin spiritually and the other two can suffer the consequences
I think I hear you...but would question whether the new man does not see a "feed" (connection) from the spirit to the soul, and even thence...to the body.
Old 04-17-2017, 10:45 AM

The man/woman of Spirit does not cut himself/herself up into parts. Everything is made whole or into one by everlasting life and faith.
Old 04-24-2017, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon 2 View Post
The man/woman of Spirit does not cut himself/herself up into parts. Everything is made whole or into one by everlasting life and faith.
? you body does not have everlasting life
Old 04-24-2017, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Whatever happened to the resurrected man body of Christ?
Old 04-24-2017, 10:24 PM

Resurrection was proof to us that he was God

He said " flesh and blood shall not enter the kingdom of heaven"
Old 04-24-2017, 11:29 PM

Quote:

You mean physical resurrection was proof he was God don't you? I mean we all resurrect spiritually.

So, what happened to the resurrected man body of Christ? I'm not looking for the proof it served or why it was necessary for Jesus to have resurrected physically, I'm just wondering what happened to his physically resurrect human body?
Old 04-24-2017, 11:31 PM

Quote:

Had me at the virgin birth.. Then there was the walking on water... And stopping a storm by speaking, not to mention the healing and bringing folks back from the dead.
Old 04-25-2017, 08:46 AM

I don't see Jesus having to shed his resurrected physical body to enter heaven. He was no longer in the perishable body but now in the imperishable. This being the reason he was not immediatly recognized by his followers after his resurection. Jesus said now you will "see"(physical) me sitting(physical) at the right hand of the Father. When Paul said that flesh and blood will not inherit the kingdom of heaven it was a reference to the perishable. I don't think the new body will contain any blood. When Adam sinned, sin entered his blood and was passed down father to son, father to son, through all generations and all people. This being the reason that Jesus could not have an earthly father because if he had then he would have a sinful nature just like the rest of us. The Bible states very clearly that without the shedding of blood, there is no remission of sin. This may sound like crazy talk but it's where I stand at this moment.
Old 04-25-2017, 10:06 AM

Good post.

(not sure about the "no blood in heaven" part, but that's not of most importance)
Old 04-25-2017, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectorman View Post
I don't see Jesus having to shed his resurrected physical body to enter heaven. He was no longer in the perishable body but now in the imperishable. This being the reason he was not immediatly recognized by his followers after his resurection. Jesus said now you will "see"(physical) me sitting(physical) at the right hand of the Father. When Paul said that flesh and blood will not inherit the kingdom of heaven it was a reference to the perishable. I don't think the new body will contain any blood. When Adam sinned, sin entered his blood and was passed down father to son, father to son, through all generations and all people. This being the reason that Jesus could not have an earthly father because if he had then he would have a sinful nature just like the rest of us. The Bible states very clearly that without the shedding of blood, there is no remission of sin. This may sound like crazy talk but it's where I stand at this moment.
His physical body did not change from the cross to His resurrection. It saw no decay as was prophesied. It was not yet glorified though.
Old 04-25-2017, 10:23 AM

Quote:
But...do you see...you have "separated" it off as a thing unto itself? But, the body under the command of the soul, in submission to the spirit...in that sense...now has the capacity of seed...to something else?
It is sown corruptible...yes...no one denies in its present state of view it, of itself, is corruptible...but...it may be raised incorruptible...if restored by order of God...Spirit being life to all submitted (even by some steps down) to body.
So it is our wonderful brothers and sisters, in obedience to the Spirit even surrendered their bodies to death, and in hope of a better resurrection...have bequeathed (through Christ...as ONLY Christ first and foremost of all) a testimony of hope, encouragement and inspiration.
Yes...it is all of Christ, done for us...but may even be seen in those we don't call "Jesus"...but of the same Spirit.
This is victory made manifest.
Old 04-25-2017, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artfuldodger View Post
You mean physical resurrection was proof he was God don't you? I mean we all resurrect spiritually.

So, what happened to the resurrected man body of Christ? I'm not looking for the proof it served or why it was necessary for Jesus to have resurrected physically, I'm just wondering what happened to his physically resurrect human body?
If He lied to us , He would not be God, in spite of the miracles.

We do not know about Jesus body, We know we shall not all sleep but be change.

The important item is to recognized the purpose of a body. It is for redemption of many by one death.
It is not needed after the physical.
Old 04-25-2017, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Israel View Post
But...do you see...you have "separated" it off as a thing unto itself? But, the body under the command of the soul, in submission to the spirit...in that sense...now has the capacity of seed...to something else?
It is sown corruptible...yes...no one denies in its present state of view it, of itself, is corruptible...but...it may be raised incorruptible...if restored by order of God...Spirit being life to all submitted (even by some steps down) to body.
So it is our wonderful brothers and sisters, in obedience to the Spirit even surrendered their bodies to death, and in hope of a better resurrection...have bequeathed (through Christ...as ONLY Christ first and foremost of all) a testimony of hope, encouragement and inspiration.
Yes...it is all of Christ, done for us...but may even be seen in those we don't call "Jesus"...but of the same Spirit.
This is victory made manifest.
The body is of little consequence compared to the eternal soul.
Jesus said if the eye offend you, then pluck it out or cut off the hand if it would keep you from heaven(repentance)

He sacrificed His body and also suffered separation from thr GodHead because of sin.
Humanism has raised the body equal to the soul.
Old 04-25-2017, 11:29 AM

Quote:
That's the way I see it if we must wait before going to Heaven. If we go to Heaven right away after our physical death, then I see no reason to return to the earth for a physical body.

If Jesus is in Heaven in a physical body, that sure makes it hard to explain the Trinity and the fact that God is a Spirit. How can Jesus(God) sit next to Spirit(God) in a physical body? Some believe when we get to Heaven, we will only see One. God in his physical form, Jesus.

If we do go to Heaven as spirits, then it's hard to understand why Jesus ascended in a physical body. Unless his physical resurrection was a one-of-a-kind as proof that he was God. In other words maybe he was the only man to resurrect physically as proof that he indeed did arise.

Since Heaven is a spiritual place only, we won't need a body to enjoy it. Think about how long God and Jesus live there with the angels, all as spirits.

Still though, where or what happened to the body of Christ if it didn't go to Heaven? Was it jettisoned over the ocean during his ascent?

I will say what ever Jesus is in Heaven, we will be also. When we see him as he is and become like him.
Old 04-25-2017, 11:47 AM

Jesus is God manifest in the flesh.
Old 04-25-2017, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by welderguy View Post
Jesus is God manifest in the flesh.
Does that mean we will only see God as Jesus when we get to Heaven? The human manifestation? The mediator?
The image of the invisible God?
Old 04-25-2017, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Does that mean we will only see God as Jesus when we get to Heaven? The human manifestation? The mediator?
We will see ALL of God in every way possible.
Old 04-25-2017, 04:25 PM

Quote:
We should see God as creator, judge, sacrifice and mediator and restorer of all things.

Jesus is God in unity and is separable
Old 04-25-2017, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Israel View Post
I think I hear you...but would question whether the new man does not see a "feed" (connection) from the spirit to the soul, and even thence...to the body.
I don't think so, We know we can be mentally tired yet spiritually well. /or physically tired yet mentally good.

does physical exercise make the spiritual better?
I think this is different "food" and confusion of what is beneficial
Old 04-25-2017, 05:52 PM

I read the Bible as it's beginning is the creation of man in paradise and it's ending is the restoration of man in paradise, everything in between is how far God was willing to go to make this restoration possible. The beginning had God moving back and forth between the physical and spiritual seamlessly(TRINITY) and I wonder if man could do the same thing. The Bible talks about the spirit of God hovered over the waters but it also states that Adam heard God walking in the garden. I know that man is created in God's image being both physical and spiritual. I definitely see an eternal physical earth that man will spend in close relationship with God again.

Last edited by Vectorman; 04-25-2017 at 06:04 PM.
Old 04-25-2017, 06:05 PM

Quote:
I read the Bible as it's beginning is the creation of man in paradise and it's ending is the restoration of man in paradise, everything in between is how far God was willing to go to make this restoration possible. The beginning had God moving back and forth between the physical and spiritual seamlessly and I wonder if man could do the same thing. The Bible talks about the spirit of God hovered over the waters but it also states that Adam heard God walking in the garden. I definitely see an eternal physical earth that man will spend in close relationship with God again.
We are now. If one believes we obtain Salvation while on this earth, as I do, then we have already obtained eternal life. If one recognizes that scripture necessitates the kingdom has come, as I do, then not only do we have eternal life, we live within God's realm. Jesus has covered our sin that we may be in communion with God as Adam was.